SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cissado

I messed up my stairs... Here are my optiions.

cissado
16 years ago

I made 5 stringers and installed them, only to find out the tread is too long. I have an 8 inch riser and 11 inch tread on the stringer itself. This is the first time I've attempted it and was careful not to "mess up". lol

So I need a 10 inch tread and an 8 inch riser so I can have an overhang on the step. Can I just cut off an inch right from the stringers themselves? This will give me the 10 icnhes I need but will leave me 3 INCHES on the underside of the stringer after all is done. Id 3 inches big enough or will it be too weak? That's my main question to trump all, I guess.

These are my other options...

A) Cut to 10 inches all the way down.

B) Cut a one inch thick 'spacer' and add it in between the two 5.5 inch Timber Tech pieces for the step.

C) Add spacers behind the fascia accordingly, to give me the overhang I need (I definately don't want this for several reasons)

D1) Please don't say "start over". It took me a while to cut 5 stringers from 2 X 12 PT wood.

J) thanks.

I'm wondering how that one inch 'spacer' would look in the middle of the two pieces? I could add it towrads the fascia side of the step as well.

Comments (3)