SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
new_to_ipe

IPE Design & Constr Considerations

new_to_ipe
14 years ago

Greetings all,

The amount of knowledge and expertise about ipe on this forum is amazing. After reading thru a bunch of the posts, and looking at finished decks on a couple of your web pages I've decided to do a small ipe deck to fit in a little courtyard located entirely within the interior of our house. The courtyard is open to the sky, and enclosed on four sides by the house. The area is about 13.5' x 12.5', and there are 9' sliders on three sides.

The design plan for the deck is to make sort of an overly wide walkway that connects the center (movable) panel in each slider. Material will be pre-grooved 5/4 x 6 ipe. Total deck area looks to be about 100-120 sq ft. The decking will sit about 20" above grade, which is level and drains well.

The design calls for open areas in 3 of the corners, to be used as planting beds. The deck will be floating on posts, with graceful curved edges (6-8 ft radius), ending up against the house (under each slider center panel) with perhaps an 1" from the last board edge to the house siding under the slider.

I've read a bunch of the posts, and have a couple of questions:

1) Is it feasible to cut a gently curved arc in ipe with a jig saw? If not a jig saw, then what would work better (or at all)?

2) What hidden fasteners are preferred - EB-TY seem to get a lot of mention?

3) Should I use construction adhesive under the decking on the joists? If so, what's recommended?

4) I want to make sure there's adequate ventilation under the deck. The plan is to fill each of the three openings with planting soil all the way to just under the deck material - this would effectively block off the underside of the deck along its entire length. There's good drainage in the ground under the deck. But will this be an issue?

I'm sure there's other stuff I haven't thought of - please feel free to comment.

Thanks in advance

Comments (4)