SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
avesmor_gw

Can someone with an outdoor green thumb give me some advice?

avesmor
13 years ago

I've tried finding the correct "garden" forum to post in, but there isn't one for my state, and my region has posts from 2002 on the main page, and I don't know what specific type of plant I'm looking for. And the "porches & decks" forum seems to be all about construction & maintenance -- not decorating. But -- I know some of you are horticulturally inclined, and I need some advice, and it's even related to decorating. :)

I live in Northwest Missouri - my hardiness zone is 5/6. My house faces north. The area in question gets 100% shade. Anything else that's prerequisite info, just ask. :)

We have a wood beam covered porch. The front door is very off center to the rest of the entry, and I'd like to use some bulky planters/plants to help offset this. This pic is not my house, but structurally it's the exact same on the outside -- except we have a railing that goes across the porch in front of the double windows:

Notice how off center the front door is? Yikes. It's ok from the inside, but what's the point of that?! I want to use some tall/bulky plants to the left of the door to help disguise the offset. Someone suggested I get the bronze tapered planter set from C&B (link), or something similar, to set beside the door. But I have no idea what to put in them.

The area by the door gets 100% shade. I don't care much for topiaries, but probably need some height. Ideally, I would like to plant some kind of tallish shrubby something (juniper?) that can stay in the same place through winter & still be alive next spring, and then just add to it with something like impatiens in the spring. I'm thinking such a thing doesn't exist. :) Any suggestions?

Comments (8)