SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okinawan

Range Hood Exhaust vent w/ a cathedral ceiling?? Help!

okinawan
15 years ago

So the house is almost finished. My great room and therefore my kitchen, has 16' ceilings. The stove and the refrigerator are both on a free-standing 3/4 wall that ends at about 10' (the space above it is open). Initially the builder and I spoke about a range hood ...or a downdraft and he reassured me that a range hood would be no problem.

Fast forward to today... apparently where the stove is to go there is a beam--smack dab where the exhaust vent (extension of the range hood) is to go. My options are either to bend the exhaust and have them build a "box" which will allow the exhaust to go thru my pantry, up to the attic and then out to the side of the house...OR up thru the ceiling, but they will build a "box" which will allow them to "bend" the exhaust at allow it to escape thru the ceiling.

To be perfectly frank, I'm not a fan of either option and am afraid it will look really crappy. The lines in the ceiling are so nice...I just think that a big (okay..it will be painted white and be trimmed, etc..) "box" just sitting up there will take away from the look of the great room.

My stove is the Kenmore Elite Induction free standing range (not the slide in)...it has not been installed yet. Are there such things as downdrafts that will work with a free standing range? I'm at such a loss as to what do do here..................

I can't imagine NOT having an exhaust hood...but I just hate my options.

Any advice???

Thanks.

(Maybe those of you with island cook tops and range hoods...can you show me photos of how you did it?? maybe that will help...I'm in such need of advice!!! THANKS!)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths