SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justretired_gw

The perfect, beautiful, buttery yellow

justretired
13 years ago

Hi

I am looking for yellow perfection in my east and south windowed master BR. I have purchased Pottery Barn Matine Toile bedding in porcelain blue and have collected BM chips for Hepplewhite Ivory, Summer Harvest, Montgomery White and Windham Cream. I am looking for a yellow that does not have a tan cast (enough tan in my house!). So Hepplewhite and Montgomery are probably out....

I've looked through the gallery and searched the forum for answers but could use more ideas. I would be so appreciative of your suggestions and, if possible, pictures.

I've not redone this room in about 20 years so you can see that I stick with what I pick! So I want it to be perfect.

Thanks so much.

Comments (35)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Windham Cream is a lovely light yellow.

I have Ben Moore Straw in an east facing bathroom and love it there, but I prefer softer colors in the bedroom and it would be a bit to much for my tastes.

• tuesday_2008
    13 years ago

I have Valspar Homestead Resort Sunwash in DR - a true buttery yellow. It has no tan or green undertones, but not too "lemony" if that makes sense.

It is much prettier than the paint chip.

• Related Discussions

Beautiful yellow...

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Renee -- Yes, it is a rebloomer -- just looked it up in my file and it is Harvest of Memories... I agree -- I think its just the perfect shade of yellow... Emily
    ...See More

Looking for the perfect warm beige yellow paint?

Q

Comments (45)
    Well, before you buy all those samples, get the chips from the store and do some comparison in the rooms you intend to use them in. I was able to eliminate quite a few colors (that I actually liked rather well by themselves) once I put them next to my floors, drapes, in different light etc. Some brands of paint sell large swatches as well for much less than a sample pot.
    ...See More

Restoration Hdwr Butter - Perfect Soft Yellow!

Q

Comments (7)
    At this time I only have a sample board painted. We hope to have the painter come in this week as the entire LR and DR are empty (refinished floors) and this is the perfect time to paint. Our furniture is stuffed in every nook and cranny throughout the rest of the house. (We have 2 grandfather clocks in the kitchen!) I was going to do it myself but on Friday the doc said I need to start chemo again right away so will be doing that Tuesday. Darn shame as I feel pretty good right now but who knows how I'll feel this time next week. Anyway, it'll take some time to cover all this dark red. I'll take before and after pics to post as things progress. I'm so excited to finally be lightening up this place. Just a note, I had Home Depot try to match another color once and they just couldn't get it right. Sherwin Williams did a bang-up job and the large sample was only $5.60 with tax.
    ...See More

HELP .. turn this yellow & green house into something beautiful please

Q

Comments (45)
    if the boards are rotten, you're allowed to replace them. you could have dry rot. the historic section does allow damaged wood to be replaced. and if you have new ones cut almost the same, it shouldn't be an issue. But, no big deal. I think if you match it to the stucco color it will look way better. I like your front door. before painting it the new color, take a sander to it and try and get off a good portion of the white paint. start w/a 60 or 80 grit, work up to 220, if you can. it will look better if you start w/a somewhat smoother surface. If that's the original brass hardware, you can boil it in hot water to loosen the grime, and then use a metal polish on it to remove the tarnish. is the screen staying?
    ...See More
  • creekylis
    13 years ago

You could try Behr Cream Puff. I painted my family room in this, hoping for a true cream. On the walls, it really turned out a buttery yellow, just as you describe. I ended up going with SW Ivoire, which is about twice as dark as Cream Puff.

Good luck! Yellows and creams are tricky!

• User
    13 years ago

I have Belgian Waffle it is an Olympic Brand paint and I had it made up in BM Matte. I have it in my LR/piano room which gets lots of bright late afternoon sun and in my sunroom which gets late afternoon sun. Depending on the time of day it changes which I love. It has no tan in it.

one view in sunroom: (There are 2 skylights in this room )

another view:

Living room ( it is color above chair rail)

1 view:

I also have it in my foyer:

• sloyder
    13 years ago

BM Hawthorne Yellow, BM Soleil

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

Whatever you choose, please post pics! I love the Matine toile! Can't wait to see the room.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

"Perfect, creamy,buttery yellow" are the exact words I used to describe the yellow I put in my DR, Kitchen and utility rooms! And I even held a stick of butter up and it matched to a T.

I used Sherwin Williams Tea Light. It never screams yellow no matter the light. In some light it looks like cream with a dusting of yellow.

If it helps any, a color consultant told me about it and I ended up agreeing with her! :)

Also, it looks like a perfect match of Trail's yellow.

• aunt_mimi
    13 years ago

I may be biased, but I have BM's Mushroom Cap in my living room, hallway and entry foyer and love it.

Good luck in making your decision :)

• amykath
    13 years ago

This name will throw you but I used Behr's Country Beige in my bathroom. It is a lovely warm creamy yellow. I will post pics when I can get on my laptop. Its a really soothing color. I went through 4 paint colors before I found this one.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

I mixed BM #191 and 192 in equal parts. Perfect. Because the use different bases they blend together the firm yellow and the pastel.

Had to do touch ups 5 years later with new paint and it was a perfect match still

• beachlily z9a
    13 years ago

Two days ago I had a guy at Sherwin Williams mix 5 gal. of Tealight for my kitchen, bath, guestroom, etc. We painted part of one wall and stopped. It was screaming and intense, not the soft butter color of the sample. They won't take it back and I'm not a happy camper. Went to Home Depot today, picked a couple of new paint colors and we will continue with the painting.

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

I recently painted the new built-ins in our family room Pratt & Lambert Creme 10-28 and it is sooo delicious! It is pure sunshine, shining on the plus gras butter. Yum yum.

• justretired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, thank you for all of the great, diverse responses!

Graywings: Do you think Windham Cream would hold it's color is a very bright room? Or that it would look more creamy than yellow. I love the color on the chip.

Trailrunner: I appreciate all of the pictures. The color looks different in each of the rooms. I currently have SW Vellum in my LR and I think your LR photo looks similar. It is a pretty color--I have never tired of it.

I am guilty of limiting myself to BM colors and I need to check SW, Behr, Valspar, P&L and Olympic as you all have suggested. I am probably missing out on some great options that way. Will check those out as all are available to me.

Sloyd; I have been thinking about Hawthorne Yellow as it is on the same strip as Windham. It looks bright on the strip but may mellow out a bit in my bright room....

Aktillery: I believe you---sometime the name does not fit the way I perceive the color either. For sure worth a look.

Beachlily: Ouch! 5 gallons! Do you have a Habitat Restore in your town? Maybe someone would think it is a lovely color:)

It looks as though I best go back to BM as well as a couple of other paint outlets in town..... busy next couple of days!

You all have been so helpful and I am anxious to start this project!

Thanks a bunch. JR

• justretired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Cat Mom:

We must have been posting at the same time. Thank you for taking the time to post pictures. Pretty color. And I LOVE your shower curtain!

JR

• doonie
    13 years ago

justretired, you asked about Windham Cream in a bright room. I wanted a buttery yellow in my kitchen. So, Windham cream is what I went with. It lights up with morning sunshine and is my favorite sunny space. Here is a photo of it, which is true to color. Hope this helps you some.

{{!gwi}}

• maddybeagle
    13 years ago

Check out BM Milkyway. I used it in my dining room in my old house (sorry I don't have a pic) and am about to put it in my new kitchen. It looks like a bright cream on the color chip, but on the wall it's a wonderful creamy yellow. It's the sort of color that positively glows with light all on its own, which is why I'm going to use it in a room that gets almost no natural light.

• amykath
    13 years ago

This was my old kitchen. The color was Luminary Yellow by Valspar from Lowes. this room got a ton of light.

{{!gwi}}

Good luck!!!

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Ace Hardware color, "Manor White". It's not white at all. A little light on the butter, barely a whisper of lemon zest tossed in. Just the right combination to be warm & calming yet cheery. And never tiring. Its flexibility with other colors & various wood stains is a big bonus. I'm in love with that color!

• sloyder
    13 years ago

another yellow you might want to check out is BM Filtered Sunlight. I have this in my dining room, and it is a nice yellow.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    13 years ago

JR, you might also want to check out the new full spectrum paints that BM has just put out. They aren't everywhere yet, but they are available some places. Worth checking I think when you read what everyone here says about full spectrum. I know exactly the color you want-in my mind! LOL. Hope you find it!

• dawnp
    13 years ago

Look at the top of this link for RH Butter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Butter

• dawnbc
    13 years ago

I am just getting ready to paint over Summer Harvest because it is too fresh .... definitely not buttery in my house.

I hope you find that perfect colour.

• mkleparek
    13 years ago

Windham Cream was the perfect yellow for me, in three different houses. I finally changed just for something new. It's a great color. Sunny but not jarring, creamy but still yellow. I love it. I'll have to dig for photos and as I am about to move (next week) into my 13TH HOUSE, I can't promise I'll do it anytime soon. :(

• justretired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my! This is so funny---I was afraid I would not be able to find enough samples that I liked in order to narrow it down to "the one." Instead there is example after example of beautiful colors and I am thinking I may not be able to decide because they are all awesome!

Thanks you all so much for responding and posting pictures. I have made a list of all the suggestions and am going to spend tomorrow collecting and then trying to pare down. We are supposed to get 4-8 inches of snow here in Minnesota tomorrow evening so what better to do than obsess on paint!

Thank you all again!!!!!!!!!!!

So incredibly helpful!

JR

• amykath
    13 years ago

Good luck JR! Can't wait to see what you pick!

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Ack, that's too bad about the SW Tea Light. I have all sorts of light and it doesn't scream yellow in any of it. In fact, some of the walls look on the white side in different light.

I won't recommend it anymore. LOL.

• theresa2
    13 years ago

I have Windham Cream in a bedroom with morning light and absolutely love it. It's yellow enough to say I'm yellow, yet it is not overwhelming. I tried Hawthorne Yellow in my kitchen and hallway, not a fan of HY. HY seemed dirty and off in some way. It didn't look good in any light. Too washed out in bright light and too intense in low-light. Not a happy yellow for sure, more of a depressing yellow IMO.

• justretired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Theresa2: I love your statement, "It's yellow enough to say I'm yellow." That is just what I want---nothing in your face but warm and happy.

Dawnp: I was wondering if someone would suggest RH Butter. It is really pretty in those pictures.

Windham Cream is going to make the short list. The pictures are yummy.

I think SW has sample quarts? Wish Ben Moore did. A quart at BM is somewhere around $30 I believe. I just cringe at the thought of buying a bunch of quarts for experimental purposes. And those tiny sample jars do not seem to hold enough.

Anyway, I have collected all of the sample chips readily available to me. My goal tonight is to narrow it down to the top 5 and then think about putting some samples on the walls.

My DH (bless his heart) does not really care what I do and he has a pretty good sense of color. He is quick to say "that looks tan to me" or "green to me" so MAYBE I will let him in on the elimination process. Of course, involving someone else means letting go of a little control which is difficult for me. What if he comes out with a strong opinion?? Then what will I do??? LOL

JR

• skyedog
    13 years ago

If you looking to do a lot of BM samples you might try Myperfectcolor.com. When I was trying to decide on a white trim I was able to get a bunch of samples in semi-gloss for much less than if they mixed it up in stores. If you only want a 16oz flat sample they run $6/piece. All colors are available. It didn't come overnight but it did come relatively fast. And not to confuse you but I have BM vellum 207 in my DR. It is a yellow yellow (not a hint of tan) however but not a screaming one.

• justretired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, skyedog. Great idea. I have noticed people posting about Myperfectcolor but have never checked it out. $6 sounds just right. I'm on it! So much good information here.....

JR

• User
    13 years ago

We have both Golden Straw and Hawthorne Yellow by BM in our house (library and MBR). The Hawthorne yellow is really YELLOW, a lovely color but too much for your description. The Golden Straw color depends 100% on what room it is in, how much and what type of light. If you're getting samples, I would definitely try it.

• User
    13 years ago

At my local BM store, quarts are about $15, I believe.

You can also sign up with BM as a designer, even if you're not, and you can order as many sample sheets of as many colors as you want for free. They even send them for free. This is what I do when picking paint. I order about 4 sheets of every color I want to consider. I tape them together to get a big area and put on wall (the sizes of the sheet vary depending on which collection, but they are generally about 6 x 9 or 8 x 8). I narrow it down to a few I really like and then buy quarts of those to actually paint on wall. Sometime I can tell from the sample sheets and don't even need the quarts.

This has saved me so much $$ not buying a lot of quarts or sample pots, which as you say are not very big.

Here's the link to the BM site:

Here is a link that might be useful: BM color samples

• Wallee
    13 years ago

I have BM Devon Cream in the open kitchen/living/dining/entry with S, W and N light. Love it in any light.

• justretired
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great advice, Jillinnj. I never knew you could do such a thing. I think the last time a bought a quart at Ben Moore it was the Impervo so perhaps that was more expensive. I do like the idea of getting the color sheets and then quarts. S
    What a smart lady you are!

Wallee--I added Devon Cream to my list. Thanks.

JR