SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eskimopie_gw

New pool design, Pump Questions

eskimopie
16 years ago

Hello, I've signed contracts with a PB for a new pool in Tucson, AZ. It's a free-form pool 29x15 (79' perimeter, ~11k gallons) that is 5' deep with a 7' raised spa and an A&A in-floor cleaning system. The spa has a 400k BTU gas heater but I'm also having a Heliocoil solar heating system put in also to extend our swim season. It's a two story house with great southern exposure.

Currently the PB has a single Sta-Rite 1.5HP 1-speed pump spec'd to run the entire system and I'm wondering if thats the best choice for me. This is my first pool so I'm a total newb, but I've been reading on this forum for the past few days and learning A LOT. One of the things I've learned on here is that most people were shocked by the electrical costs necessary to run their pump. I understand I want to turn over my pool once a day. I saw a chart that looks like a 1.5HP pump will turn over a pool in about 2 hours though, which means if I want to filter for the recommended 8 hours a day then I'm costing myself 4x the electricity that I need.

That makes me think I want a 2-speed pump. The Sta-Rite 2-speeds are 1.5hp/0.25hp though and it looks like above ~20' of head they have basically zero flow. That implies to me that I can't use the low-speed at the same time as the solar heating system. Am I stuck with using a high current drawing 1.5hp motor running 8 hours a day if I want solar?

I've read about the intelliflo pumps on this forum and they seem like really great technology but I'd still have to run one at a fairly high load in order to get the water up to the top of the roof and back correct? If I splurged for the high-dollar model I imagine I would set a certain GPM desired and it would automatically adjust the speed for when the solar was enabled and when it wasn't correct? I really would like to try and avoid that option though since it would necessitate the high-end automation system which is a lot of extra $$$. Currently my pool is designed with the Jandy wireless PDA controller which is fairly economical. Jumping to the high end intelliflow w/ intellitouch controls would be big bucks.

The maximum my lender would approve for a mortgage holdback is $50k due to appriasial difficulties (they don't value a new pool at what it costs to install). And I'm allready over that in the design which means anything over $50k is cash out of pocket instead of nicely wrapped into a mortgage.

Please help me with my pool design all you nice people!!!

Thanks!!!

Comments (4)