SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leigh007_gw

Installing new deck boards over old deckboards?

leigh007
16 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm so glad I found this site... Great info!

I moved into a house 2 years ago with a nicely designed 2-story cedar deck, with lots of interesting angles and design elements. Total square footage is around 1400 sq. ft. The deck boards are 2x6, 24" OC and laid out at 45 degrees, so the span is pretty wide. Unfortunately, the deck boards were in fairly bad shape when I moved in, and some had been replaced with PT over the years. It was stained with a dark red opaque stain of some type.

Last fall I sanded the deck and replaced about 300 lf of board, then used a tinted water-proofer to get me through the winter. After living with the deck through the spring and summer, I've decided that I'm not happy with the cosmetics and the "patchwork" that has been done over the years, and I'm considering resurfacing the entire deck with 1x6 Ipe.

I'm fairly new to decks, so sorry of this is a dumb question... Is there a good reason NOT to attach the new boards directly over the old boards? I'd like to avoid the mess and expense of a full tear-out, and the step-down to the deck is 9" (too high for my liking), so it can easily accommodate an extra 3/4" to 1" of deck height. If I allow for sufficient drainage via holes in the original deck, and face-screw the new boards through the joists in the same orientation as the original boards, am I asking for trouble? Thanks for your advice!

Comments (6)