SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshua1979

Paint/stain color for old deck with new skirting/privacy screen

joshua1979
6 years ago

I recently had deck skirting and a small privacy screen installed to obscure the view of pool equipment and to create a small storage area under the deck. The new wood is cedar.

As you will see from the images below, presently, the deck is a dark burgundy color. My interior floors, which transition to the deck from 4 separate doorways from the family room and kitchen, are in an ebony stain. The rear exterior of the house, visible from the deck, is white siding or white stamped concrete walls. The front of the house is a red brick. The pool decking is presently concrete, but I may be going with a rectangular flagstone coating in the future, most likely in a gray/blue tone. Still TBD.

Overall, I like an appearance that is clean and simple. Any advice on how to approach the old deck and the new skirting/screen? Should the deck match the interior floor? Go with a gray? Keep the burgundy? Should railing and deck match? Should I stain/paint the skirting, and if so what color?

My initial thought was to let the new wood weather and turn gray over time as I like that look, but then I didn't know how to approach the rest. However, not final on that decision, either.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (2)