SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tworst

Building new deck - looking for alternative to standard PT lumber

tworst
12 years ago

Man I hate the typical PT lumber decks. The splits/wraps/checks/etc drive me crazy. Problem is I don't know much about any alternatives. The few I have looked at are so much more expensive, I wonder if its not just better to resurface the deck once it gets so crappy you can't stand it. I looked at some of the composite stuff and its more than double PT lumber. I would like to find something better than PT lumber but at a more reasonable cost. I don't care about installation time/difficulty as I will be doing it myself and always take my time and do it right. I just hate the thought of spending the time and money to do this and watch the deck ineviatably go to crap no matter what I do. I would also like to have a fastner clear deck surface. But if I go PT, I will just do the typical surface screws as I don't think I could trust anything else given all the movement. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS - I am new here and this is my first post. I will be looking further on this site for related information to my question, so maybe just pointing out some good threads would suffice instead of rehashing what is probably a common question.

Comments (15)