SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pattinsoldier_gw

Layout Take 1...any advice for a big family??

pattinsoldier
16 years ago

Here is my first attempt at a layout. I read Buehls thread for beginners and tried to follow the advice. We are replacing our cabinets with custom cabinets and getting a granite countertop. We don't want to mess with (and can't afford) to change our appliances or windows and such...just working with what we have. Our goal is to have a more efficient kitchen that is well organized and looks nice. I like to bake, and I have 3 kids under the age of 5 (likely more in the future), so our kitchen gets A LOT of use. We want our kitchen to be layed out so several people/kids can be in there at the same time helping. Any general comments will be appreciated, but specifically I need help with th following:

1) Should the trash pull out stay where it is or be moved to the right of the sink? As is, I will have to put pots/pans in the 36" corner cabinet to be close to range. If I move the trash, I could have 35" drawers next to range to store pots/pans.

2) What is the best use of the 64" of cabinets to the right of the sink? 24" will be the dishwasher, so I have 40" left to play with. How much space do I need between the sink and dishwasher?

3) Any ideas for a message center to charge cell phones and put regular phone?

4) How about a storage area for a broom?

5) I need help with establishing zones. This is a new concept to me...I guess I just run all around my kitchen to get what I need. I put the bake center where it is because it is a counter with 3 sides and I tend to get a lot of little helpers when I bake! Any recommendations for prep area, clean-up area, etc.

6) Any ideas for the 11" cabinet to left of range? Anyone have a spice pullout that size?

Here goes...PLEASE help.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville