SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spanky_md

Black & Decker 'floating deck' instructions?

spanky_md
16 years ago

I want to build a 12' x 25' ground level deck. It will be as close to grade as possible due to grading issues and that our back door sill is already only an inch or two above grade. We have just had the yard graded and that's as good as it's gonna get.

Anyway, I found the instruction below from Black & Decker. It's a platform deck built on precast concrete footings that are set on the ground. Each one has a slotted top to accept joists, which are not fastened to the footing at all, they just rest in it. There are no poured footings.

I'm just wondering how these work in areas where the ground can freeze and thaw several times over the winter. If the joists are just resting in the slots, can the wood framing move enough that it won't crack? I know that some footings could end up higher or lower than others since the ground won't heavy at an even rate over the whole area.

Has anyone built a deck like this? It seems like it would be way less work than pouring concrete footings. I hate mixing concrete and would love to skip that part of this whole business if we can.

Black & Decker 'platform deck'

Comments (13)