SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pcjs_gw

Small deck help 4x6

pcjs
16 years ago

Hi,

Now I need advice as reading all the posts messed me up with the Ipe vs. composite debate. Thanks to you all I now want to avoid Trex (although it's sold alot here and some of the newer colors are similar to what we want) and am now considering Ipe but worried about maintaince. My other issue with Ipe is I want the 1x4 boards which would have to be a special order and the boards at the one place we found them at didn't look as nice as the pictures Scotte posted as if it is a special order we can't hand pick each board. The guys said they didn't sell much Ipe around here. One store loves it (but they are local and more $$$ but we prefer giving them our money) and the other store we hate giving our money to as they only like contractors (but the guys who manage the stock are good/hardworking/nice) like the composites.

So, today we took an adventure to look at the Timber Tech which was highly liked on here. They had everything but that. So, we looked at a few brands/colors. A lot of the colors are just, well, ugly to me and look like, well, poop.

They then said they were just starting to stock Fiberon Tropics and they had the Mahogany Color that matches our door and I liked (I love dark wood - so does my husband but I get all color decisions).

The deck is tiny off the kitchen, which has a door, that in the future will lead to a future driveway. Two sides are attached to the house (we have something there now - not sure if I'd call it a deck as it's a rotting plywood board) with one stair. I think it is 4x4 now but we want to extend the lenght 2 feet.

So, my questions are: (I am not worried about cost as the deck is tiny and we are DIY)

1) Has anyone used Fiberon and if yes, would you use it again? How easy is it to install as a first time DIY?

2) I still haven't ruled out Ipe but I worry about the maintance and other things - what are the advantages beyond intially it looks better if you get good boards as it is real wood, etc.

3) Any other dark composites or woods we should consider?

4) Any other really good advice to get us started? We have our nice Stanley DIY book and are just learning now. (we are just finishing up a DIY kitchen remodel and have done some plumbing, electrical, doors, one window - will be doing a bunch more this summer, etc).

And:

5) As DIY'er's with lots of work to do on our house - does anyone know someone in MD who is really good - like the guy who did Scotte's at a reasonable rate who wants a quick side job to either help or do it as we're tired and really don't want to do this. But, every time I call a contractor since we have a small job they don't want it and when we have big jobs they charge a fortune and half the time the work is shotty when we look at other houses (although we paid for help hanging the cabinets and the guy was amazing and taught us alot - which we'd love with the deck).

Thanks very very much in advance for any and all help, advice and/or suggestions.

Here is our lovely deck - we really got a fixer upper (good structure, mainly cosmetic)

a href="http://photobucket.com"; target="_blank">

Comments (15)