SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jennavanowsc

Traveling with large dogs

JennaVaNowSC
15 years ago

I know this belongs on the Pet forum, but you folks are the ones I am most familiar with. Please bear with me. We have 2 Boxers, 5 years old, large girls, 90 and 70+ pounds. They are inside dogs. Normally we get a pet sitter to come to the house 3 times a day to feed and walk them, however last fall when we were away, the sitter left them outside (in our 6 ft- privacy-fence enclosed back yard) for 3 hours on a beautiful afternoon, and the neighbor called the police AND left a really nasty letter in our mailbox. He said the dogs barked at him while he was working in the yard (with weedeater and mower...how did he even hear them?) and it 'bothered' him. He was very threatening and rude. So..... we need to go to Florida to help our DD and her family get moved there. She suggested we just bring the dogs. They are leaving our house here in Va in the morning, and I found her a hotel in Georgia that will accept their large dogs overnight. So I got to thinking, how hard would it be to travel with them? They do short trips, no carsickness.

Do any of you travel with large dogs? Would you recommend it? We pay the pet sitter 50 dollars a day, and now that we are retired that is a lot of money for us. Also, I am so concerned about the neighbor calling the police again. Thoughts anyone?

TIA, June

Comments (11)