SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

hypothetical question for diy'ers and ikea'ers

northcarolina
12 years ago

Well, the kitchen sale is on and I think it is time to get the show on the road here (gulp).

Here is the situation. I want to replace my lowers with IKEA drawer units (I'll be rearranging the layout a bit too). For the wall cabinets, I have 6 that could stay exactly where they are, and I would need to replace 2 with new IKEA cabinets to accommodate the new layout. The catch is that my cabinets are slightly different dimensions than IKEA ones, so one of the IKEA wall cabinets would have to be cut down a bit to match up, and probably a shelf installed underneath too since theirs are 3" shorter than mine. Only the one would need adjustment -- the other stands alone.

The Habitat deconstruction guy has been out to have a look. He says they will take out the entire kitchen for me if they can have the whole thing, uppers and lowers. If I want to keep my uppers, the deconstruction and transport will be up to me (they would take whatever I brought to donate but wouldn't do the work themselves).

So. Most of me thinks it would be a big waste to buy new wall cabinets to replace nearly identical cabinets in the same sizes and positions, plus surely it would be simpler to leave the wall cabinets in place. They are in good condition. But the other part of me is wondering if it would be easier all round to let somebody else do the de-installation and disposal (this would include removing the countertop, backsplash, and trim) and then start anew with a whole matching set of IKEA and not have to deal with getting doors custom made for the old uppers (and figuring out where to drill for their new hinges etc).

The caveat is that I am not too thrilled with any of the IKEA door styles for our house, so I might end up painting new 3rd party doors no matter what. Blech. (I keep trying to convince myself to use natural wood instead because it'd be easier than painting, but I always come back to white. I just don't look forward to painting 30-odd doors.) Applad, their slab white, is probably the closest they have to what I want but I can't quite reconcile myself to having white slab uppers again. Maybe it would look better than I think? That will be a topic for another thread. I had the bright idea of using their Applad drawer fronts below and painting Shaker uppers to match, but I tested it and there is enough texture difference (brush strokes vs factory smoothness) to get on my nerves. Maybe that was just my brush and I should try again with a foam roller...

I am beginning to ramble. So which do you all think would be simpler: 1) keep old uppers = find matching doors and fronts plus do the demolition myself with our handyman, but on the other hand don't have to install all those upper cabinets (and mine are 42", theirs are 39"), or 2) let Habitat do the demo work and get all new IKEA for us? Reminder: Habitat gets whatever we aren't keeping regardless. I am leaning toward #1 but have no experience with cabinet wrangling so I would like to hear opinions from you all who have been there. Thank you!

Comments (17)