SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bigbrownthumb

Re-Grade Concrete Slab with Mortar and Pavers?

bigbrownthumb
13 years ago

I have a large concrete slab off the back of my house adjacent to a huge maple tree. The concrete slab is now on enough of a slant for water to pool up against the house during heavy rain. I believe it's due to the tree roots lifting the slab over time just enough to create this problem (I wasn't here when the slab was put in so I can't confirm that it was ever graded properly).

The extent of the angle is not noticeable to the naked eye and there are no cracks or other problems with the slab. I've considered having the slab raised hydraulically but my concern is that all that pressure would go against the basement wall of my 100 year old house. Since I cannot afford to have the tree removed any time soon and I wouldn't bother with removing the concrete until I remove the tree, I'm considering a short term solution of trying to regrade with concrete, cement or mortar and laying pavers on top to keep the water running away from the house. Perhaps this might even be sufficient to remain after the tree is removed?

I know I'll eventually reach the point where I'll need to have the tree removed but it's a very expensive job given the size of the tree, the small lots in my city, and all the wiring running from the house through the back yard right where the tree is. I'm laid off and need some affordable short term damage control. Any comments on material recommendations and est. cost would be greatly appreciated in addition to any advice on whether this is even a good idea. The slab is approx. 10' x 20'.

Comment (1)