SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caitlin622

Concrete slab paver base construction help

caitlin622
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Modern San Francisco Living · More Info

I recently removed my old concrete sidewalk and purchased some 24x24 Vancouver bay concrete slabs from mutual materials to do a contemporary walkway. Part of the walkway will finish with decorate gravel between the slabs (6" gap), and the other part will have grass between. So far, I have excavated the space, placed 4" of 3/4" gravel, using string lines to make sure I have the right slope. So now I need to compact it right? Not exactly looking forward to rentinga heavy compactor but it's necessary righT?? Considered using a sod roller and hand tamper but ??

next comes the "leveling" layer. By advice of the stone supplier I purchased 1/4- vs sand. The supplier said sand would just wash away under the slabs which makes sense. The 1/4- seems pretty pliable and "sandy" too which is good. I'm just not sure exactly what is going to hold the pavers in their place... Is it enough to set them on the 1/4- and rubber mallet them down? Should I use a mix of concrete & (1/4-, sand, masons mortar??), should I use a bit of edger on the sides of the slabs??? If the 1/4- is used to hold the slabs down, then I must not need to compact it, right?

Comments (5)