SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michey1st_gw

Help me with curb appeal!

michey1st_gw
11 years ago

Hi GardenWebbers!

I've been lurking on GW for the better part of a decade, but after 5 years of renting, I'm FINALLY a homeowner again! I just purchased this little 1400sf rambler (though I don't move in until June). So, it's time to delurk and start planning! For starters, my house needs a little curb appeal:

First off, the roof is brand. spanking. new. I probably would have opted for a different color myself, but it's definitely unique, and bright, and I think (hope!) I can work with it.

The gutters need to be fixed, and I'm toying with replacing them. I'm hoping window boxes on the two smaller windows will help to make them appear more in proportion to the rest of the house. The shutters on the bay window will be removed.

So, what sort of colors do you think can help bring the whole thing together? I'm thinking dark green (darker than the roof) gutters, black shutters and window boxes, then maybe a lavender or yellow front door?

Down the line, perhaps adding some sort of portico over the door to help break up the roof line? At first I was thinking of adding a front porch, but my realtor pointed out I'll be spending most of my time in the back yard since it backs to forested parkland.

I still have to see what the plantings are going to do as the season progresses - PO put them in specifically to not attract deer, which tend to roam around in the yard, but maybe some raised flowerbeds along the house will help break up the expanse of brick?

As you can see, I'm sort of all over the place with ideas. Oh, and of course I have a tiny budget. I'm a total noob when it comes to exterior landscaping and decor, so your help in keeping me grounded, focused, and working towards a well-thought-out plan that I can phase into is greatly appreciated!

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Comments (24)

• User
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cute house! I like the green roof - have you considered painting the brick? I know most people don't like to do that but I think it would look adorable painted white with that green roof! Maybe with some window boxes on the two windows on the left side to fill some space on that side of the house?

• michey1st_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your comment, Gail! Painting the brick has crossed my mind, but I still need to convince myself I really want to undertake that commitment. I've seen lots of cute houses with green roofs and cream siding, and I think I can get that same effect with paint, but oy.... i'm scared!

I'm definitely doing the window boxes too! Guess I need to then also figure out what kind of plants I can put in them...

• Related Discussions

Help me improve curb appeal

Q

Comments (7)
    Actual window boxes that work well would probably be custom made, which might be more than you want to spend on a house you're selling. You might slap some decent ones together yourself since it's a fairly simple operation to build an "open box." The key to good window boxes is making them large enough to hold enough soil to actually grow plants that aren't panting for water on an hourly basis. To make them look good, hang them somewhat below the window so that what grows in them doesn't screen the window itself. Include pendulous plants so that much of the window box itself is covered by foliage and/or flowers and works to obscure some of the blank space below the windows. If you want shrubs below the windows, you might consider regular Nandina for a look that is not too "tight." (Your photo does not allow us to see the ground space in that vicinity.) I like the portico being white much better than the dark green. For shutters and window boxes you might explore one of the many variations of TAUPE, a color that goes almost anywhere with almost any thing. Trying some paint samples will be more productive than discussing color theory for hours or days.
    ...See More

Help Me With Curb Appeal Of My New House

Q

Comments (8)
    Here are a few things you can think about. Maybe add some railing on the right side. It would break up the space and define the area. As a result, the post will be much less noticeable and in fact will be better integrated into the design. Then you could plant some attractive compact shrubs next to the railing rather than under the window. The hanging plant is a good start but if it looks a little awkward to you, add an "S" hook to lower it, also add a companion plant. I like at least two plants in a space that size. Think about a more substantial piece of outdoor furniture (larger bench?) next to the door. The items you have there are attractive in a whimsical way, and I love them. Can you arrange them in a more triangular pattern or move them to a different location? If you donÂt want to replace the door yet, painting it in coordinating colors will help a lot. I wonder if you could find a carpenter who can replace the window inset with something else, like an oval window set in some wood. I have no clue whether this would be practical, and it may cost as much as a new door. If it were me, IÂd go with new colors. An inexpensive way to de-emphasize the window on the left would be to place some climbing plants in containers and a trellis under the window. The climbing plants would fill the blank space and take the eye away from the window. In general, donÂt be hasty. The longer you live with what you have, the more ideas will be generated. Above all, have fun! Please let me know what you think.
    ...See More

Can you help me with curb appeal?

Q

Comments (7)
    It's hard to see your front landing. It looks like maybe there is a potted plant? Maybe trim the bushes directly in front of the landing. How about a plant stand with some kind of gorgous colorful annual plant? Big bushy and lots of color. Place it back and to the right of the door. Get a plant stand that is tall enough to be seen from the street but not blocking the light. Then depending on what you have for space, maybe another one on the corner between the house and garage. Just not as tall as the one on the landing. You want the top of the plant to be lower than the window, but on the corner not under the window. Then take your pot that you have on the corner to the left of your door and do some more colorful flowers, but leave it on the ground. Buy your flowers in accordance to the light available. Note that some, such as fushia's are messy, and you probably don't want those in the door. Talk to your garden store if unsure. Do keep your colors in harmony for all the pots. Meaning don't mix the orange with the purples. At night you could put low voltage lights. Just don't line them up like soldiers across the front of the house and get some up-lights. There really not hard to install. The biggy is not to exceed your wattage for your transformer. The solar lights just don't have enough power.
    ...See More

please help me add some curb appeal to our home!! Any ideas welcome

Q

Comments (0)
    Need ideas for curb appeal! Brick? Flower boxes? Shrubs? Door color? Thank you!!
    ...See More
  • User
    11 years ago

Ooh yes, I think cream would look even better than white. Or even a soft yellow! I have a thing for painted brick though houses though. I think cream/soft yellow paint, green roof, and red door would look so cute! Or maybe the red would be too much, I don't know, would have to see it. Maybe someone can photoshop for you. I would landscape with something with some height and width on the left corner of the house to kind of hide the drop -- our house is on a hill like yours is and the landscaper planted American Boxwoods I think in that low corner to give some height. They are growing a bit slower than I had hoped but they are getting there. I think it would look nice if you extend the landscaping out away from the house on the left also and then closer in to the house as you get closer to the door, iykwim.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    11 years ago

Your house is very cute. Curb appeal is what you want, so if this was my home, I'd line that walkway with bricks on both sides to widen it and bring you to the steps.

I would plant shrubs of varying heights in front of that bare wall to add interest.

I'd use some weed and seed and refresh that lawn.

A small evergreen tree in front would add a lot of interest too.

If you know your planting zone, folks in the landscape design forum will give you lots of ideas!

Good luck!

Suzi

• LanaRoma
    11 years ago

This plain house front gives you a lot of freedom in landscaping, but it also has two distinct features that give it a character: the green roof and red/brown texture of the brick wall.

I like the roof color - it adds some jazz to the house. I'd rather not paint the brick since the combination of cream/white and green would be a bit bland and predictable for me. I like the brick as it is, but I generally favor natural textures like ceramic, stone or wood. Just my personal taste.

Is it a 50's-60's house? I would look at period landscaping and exteriors on websites like RetroRenovation - thanks to gsciencechick on GW for directing me there! You could probably borrow some ideas from there. Those are designs developed specifically for mid-century ranch homes. You could look at porch designs there, as well.

Enhancing your windows with window boxes would be a good idea. The front windows are placed rather awkwardly, and the boxes would help balance them. Shutters would work on the smaller windows to the left from the door.

I would remove shutters from the bay window entirely: they look out of place there. The basic purpose of shutters is to be used as window covers at night. Of course, they are chiefly decorative now, but they usually look good if they are in proportion to the window and, theoretically, can cover the entire window when closed. It makes the shutters look natural. There is no way shutters can be closed over the bay window and that makes them look "fake" there.

Here is a link that might be useful: RetroRenovation - exterior and landscaping

• madeyna
    11 years ago

I would paint out all the trim either dark brown or black and if the budget allows and either add a planter full width of the house if you like maintaning plants. Or add a bigger taller fuller evergreen plant in the lower corner with some smaller evergreen type plants in progressive size all the way across the front. Leaving room for the growth patterns of the plants that will allow them not to crowd the house or each other. I love the idea of window boxs and adding bricks to the sides of the walk to enlarge it . Another alternative idea is to add something on each side of the walk like bark multch or red lava rock to give the walk the look of additional width and importance in the overall landscape. If you do that I would widen the multched area at both ends maybe a medium sized rock maybe two of those rocks you already have up next to the house placed at the end instead of a plant . If you keep the shutters on the small windows then add tall shutters on each side of the door and take them off the bay window. You need a new light fixture out there as well. I have listed the most inexpensive quick fixs I could think off.

• michey1st_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Suzi, I love the idea of doing something on each side of the walkway! It connects to the sidewalk but I have a driveway too with no direct connection to the front door. I'll have to brainstorm some ways to add a foot path and perhaps tie the different materials in with mulch and plantings.

The grass you see in the picture is called Zoysia - around here (Washington DC burbs) it looks like that in the winter but it greens up in the spring/summer. That picture was taken about 2 months ago, and it's already starting to green up some.

LanaRoma, I TOTALLY agree about the shutters around the bay. Those suckers are GONE! You're spot on about the house too, built in 1960.

Normally, I'm a brick purist, but that green roof is way outside my comfort zone and is throwing me for a loop! I like the roof, and I like the brick, I just have a hard time putting the two together. Hang in there with me, I'll get there ;-)

After I finish this post, I'm going to click on your link and see what goodies I can unearth!

Madeyna, I'm really digging the mulch idea around the path, and adding in a bit of a curve so it's not so severe is BRILLIANT! That light fixture cracks me up, actually! Not sure if you can tell in the pic, but it's just a little bit askew. LOL! THAT's gonna change ;-)

I've been going over my documents from closing, and there's some landscaping stuff in there. It says I have a butterfly bush, a few different kinds of roses, some fountain grass and some other plants I've never heard of (remember, I'm a noob!). I think the plantings will start to wake up within the next few weeks, but I totally agree I need some sort of small shrub to anchor the space.

I didn't even THINK of the landscape design forum! Pretty sure i'm in zone 7, so I'm gonna head over there with a few more pictures to take a look around.

Here's a few more pics for y'all, taken during my home inspection earlier this month:

Thank you so much for your fab ideas so far! I'm happy to have y'all on my team ;-)

• franksmom_2010
    11 years ago

Cute house!

Yes, absolutely post on the landscape design forum! They usually have wonderful ideas, but I wouldn't use the term "curb appeal" in your post. They will want to know what your zone is, and I would also suggest a wider shot of your property, maybe taken from across the street.

When you're on the garden forums, look for a regional forum, and post your plant-specific questions there. Finding plants that the deer won't eat is important. They might also be able to suggest a good regional gardening book for you to use as a reference. Your county extension service is also a very good resource for specific plants in your area. Some even offer classes for new gardeners, or they can recommend a community class for you.

Do a lot of research, understand your light, soil, and water before you go crazy with buying plants. You might need to fix some drainage or soil issues for the best results, and it's always better to do that first.

Maybe try some inexpensive annuals the first year or two?

I don't have any trim color suggestions for you, but I wouldn't paint the brick. The brick/roof combo isn't offensive, and if you paint it, it will forever be a maintenence chore.

• dedtired
    11 years ago

Get a new mailbox first thing!

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Very cute house! Congratulations to you on your new home.

I would not paint the brick.

Though I love the idea of window boxes, do keep in mind that they require lots of attention including regular watering to keep the plants at their prime. Plants dry out more quickly in window boxes than in the ground, and a window box full of stressed plants can look pretty sad. We considered installing a second story window box when remodeling our house. The architect pointed out that I could water it from the bathroom window. Boy, am I glad I balked. I'd be standing the tub, removing the screens, and cursing each time it needed watering!

The folks on the gardening thread can be a big help. A mix of evergreen and deciduous shrubs, perhaps with a nice tree, could really enhance that front wall. The plants currently in the ground could be moved forward toward the front of the bed, adding nice texture. Have fun with it, and don't feel that you need to make all the changes at once.

• LanaRoma
    11 years ago

Michey1st,

I think brick houses with green roofs are more common in Europe than in the U.S. The link below shows brick apartment blocks with green metal roofs in Stockholm, Sweden.

You could balance the green roof by planting evergreen foundation shrubs. I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so I'd think of some junipers or dwarf Alberta spruce which make for compact and low maintenance decorative shrubs. You'll probably find similar conifers that grow well in your climate.

Also, you could add green accents on the facade. It's up to you - window boxes, a green entrance door, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stockholm - green roofs

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I am in northern VA, so we may be sort of close to each other. I love the green roof, too. I would, however, paint the brick. Our house is painted brick-was painted when we bought it, but we changed the color from yellow (too sweet for us) to a taupe color with matching gutters and downspouts that now disappear for the most part. Our color is by Duron-Woodcut, if I am remembering correctly. We painted 15 years ago and have not had to repaint yet, although there are a few spots on window ledges that need some touching up this summer! If you are near Alexandria, there is a house on Quaker Lane across from the Seminary that has a green metal roof and a taupe body with white trim. Very pretty! I will have to walk down there to remind myself about the shutters, though. I think they may be black or maybe there aren't any. Pathetic that I can't remember! I drive by it almost every day. I will take a picture of our place, so you can see the color (although we have a black roof) and post it when the sun moves a little-can't get a good shot right now.

Love the idea of window boxes. I would like to do that on our house.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

My first house was a red brick cottage with a green roof. I live in Texas and painting brick is something that isn't done very often. My parents always said it was to be done only when the brick used was cheap brick to help hold it together, so I tend to have a bias against it. I can see that it might work on your house though. I would just do the other things first and then see if you still felt it was needed -- unless you get a pretty good set of drawings to help you make the decision.

I definitely agree with losing the ill fitting shutters on the bay, but I'm not sure about flower boxes on the left. Those widows look a bit high to reach for watering, trimming or other tending. Can you get to them from inside the house? If not, you might find you regret them or wind up putting in artificial plants. That's at least as taboo as painted brick down here where plants bloom pretty much year round.

I do agree with adding some more curves to the beds. They have the right idea, but I'd pull them out even more. You could use a trellis, ornamental tree, espaliered planting or something like a birdbath to give some vertical interest on the left. Terracing or building up the bed with a rock wall would also be good ideas to explore. These can get expensive, but if you have some DIY ability, they don't need to be.

I like the idea of adding a portico (but it might require changes to the roof and a dormer), and if you are up to it, rather than line the straight walk with bricks, adding more straight lines, I'd curve the walk -- then consider lining it with brick.

Zoyzia grass is used down here too and already greening up. Yours will soon follow.

ETA: Some of the ideas you are getting are good short term fixes and others (the entry, changing the sidewalk, terracing the beds, etc.) might be things you work on over a a period of years and seasons. .

This post was edited by lascatx on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 14:58

• User
    11 years ago

I'm also in DC area - Fairfax County (hi Cyn!). I'm guessing you might have deer where you are, since most areas around here do, unless you are really close in. If you do, make sure to keep that in mind when choosing your landscaping plants. Definitely would not plant azaleas, for example.

• lynxe
    11 years ago

I would not paint the brick. If not done right, it can cause problems, and it's not reversible. You also will have to repaint at some point and of course, there's the cost of having it done professionally.

Even if you do decide to paint, it's not the first step I think you should take to improve your curb appeal - it's too major, too pricy, and like I said, not reversible. If I were you, I'd start with shutters - like someone said, decide whether to keep them all, and what colors to paint them...dark black is a great idea!

Also, the trim, the door color, and like people have said, landscaping. Mailbox, etc.

Outside lights: are there any?

The landscaping, you might want to start by seeing what your neighbors have done. IMO it's a good idea for a house to fit in, at least somewhat, with the others.

The beds in front of the house: I'd redo so they are the same shape. I don't understand the odd curve going on in the one on the left. Also, do you have a driveway, or is there parking only on the street? If there's no driveway, I'd extend both front beds around the sides of the house. Also, I think the bed on the right is too narrow, although that's a little hard to tell.

I'd remove the rocks, big and small, and replace with a natural (not dyed!) mulch.

On the left side, you could either build up the soil or, cheaper and easier, plant taller-growing shrubs or a tree. If tree, make sure it's well away from the house itself. Speaking of which, that tree in the first and second to last pictures: what kind is it, and how far from your house and from your property line?

Given that I highly recommend not painting the brick, my personal taste would be to stay away from pink, red, and yellow flowered plants. Soft whites would be lovely, as would evergreens. For soft whites, as in someone's example of a tree in the yard, there are kousa dogwoods. That's just one example; I need some time to think of others, though there are tons to choose from.

Around the house, I'd stay away from any juniper that grows horizontally. No forsythia. No yews, beautiful as those are, since deer LOVE them! But they do not care for boxwood, and if your budget will allow for those slow-growing beauties, you might want to consider some.

I LOVE boxwood, but you have to keep in mind that they are SLOW growing and thus usually expensive.

"I'm in the Pacific Northwest, so I'd think of some junipers or dwarf Alberta spruce which make for compact and low maintenance decorative shrubs. You'll probably find similar conifers that grow well in your climate."

I think you should find conifers that grow in the region well, like LanaRoma suggested. The problem with dwarf conifers is their generally VERY slow growth rate - if you've bought small ones to begin with, you run the risk of having tiny green dimples in the front beds.

Also, I'd look for conifers or evergreens with dark green leaves, not the blue-green of some of them.

"So, what sort of colors do you think can help bring the whole thing together? I'm thinking dark green (darker than the roof) gutters, black shutters and window boxes, then maybe a lavender or yellow front door?"

I love the idea of black shutters and window boxes. (Although my preference would be for some tall shrubs or a tree vs. window boxes.) Very elegant. However, while I realize that taste is personal and that we all see things differently, I'm shuddering at the idea of lavender or yellow doors. In the first picture, I'm perceiving a slight orange tinge to the brick, and I can't see lavender going with it. Same with the yellow.

Are you keeping the trim white? In that case, I'd stick with white gutters and downspouts too.

"As you can see, I'm sort of all over the place with ideas."

Me, too, apparently. :)

"Oh, and of course I have a tiny budget."

Another reason why painting the exterior, if you absolutely must go that route, should be one of the last things you do to enhance curb appeal.

"I'm a total noob when it comes to exterior landscaping and decor, so your help in keeping me grounded, focused, and working towards a well-thought-out plan that I can phase into is greatly appreciated!"

In addition to the landscaping forum, I'd drive around and see what houses in your area you think are attractive. You could ask owners what they've planted. You could also check out books on landscaping.

BTW I see that your neighbor's house on the left is the same brick. Are your other neighbors' houses the same? Another reason not to paint the brick IMO.

"Maybe try some inexpensive annuals the first year or two? "

Not a bad idea, for the first year certainly.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Let's see:

Before anything else -- really consider adding terraces and a walkway to the driveway on the left-hand side of the house. Check for drainage patterns first -- you MAY have to lay down drainage pipes (those black perforated drain pipes) under the terraces OR even under the walkway ... always best to know these things (and handle them) first .....

a)Remove the shutters from the bay window -- and paint out the arched supports under the window (maybe a gray that would match the grout) Then plant taller, sturdy bushes in the middle of that garden to visually "connect" the garden to that window area .... right now .... the window area seems to "float" ....

b) After removing the shutters from the bay window -- install a much larger light by the front door. Remove the mailbox and replace with a longer rectanglar one that will work MUCH better in the space ....

c)Yes -- work on expanding the gardens and checking drainage patterns. Add LOTS of compost!

d)Plan out a walkway to the driveway! Measure about half-way down the front walkway -- and then out to the driveway. You will have to create steps too -- you could use paver stones over a good solid bed of sand and then gravel.

Check Youtube for videos ... great ideas there! :).

• msjay2u
    11 years ago

Hi, I think your house is cute and your ideas are pretty good. I was wondering what you feel about the rocks as I did not see where you addressed them
    I agree with you in taking the shutters off the bay window but not with the feedback of putting some by the door because that would entail moving your light fixture and mailbox and I am not so sure it would be worth the expense or trouble. Window boxes would look cute but if you do that remember it is a commitment and if they are not kept looking nice they can take away from your curb appeal. Having said that small brackets under the window boxes to match the bay window would be a nice touch. i think your door is too close to your roofline for a portico, but an awning over the door might look cute

I think some foundation plantings on the left side of the door would be nice and cheaper than doing a raised bed. I like some evergreens for year round interest
    {{gwi:1670435}}

With some flowers in the mix

I think painted yellow with a green roof would be nice. I always tell people to go for it but I am a do it your-selfer and not scared to tackle projects but I looked up how to paint brick and hmmmmm there is a lot to it. Research the process before you commit. Don't be scared to do it yourself OR hire a professional but if all else fails pull the color in through plantings... LOL

The landscaping people can help you with what to plant but make sure you include an idea or vision with your posting for the best responses, along with your lighting (full sun, partial shade etc) and soil type.

PS I am soooo glad I don't have to try to pick out a wall mounted mailbox...there are so many nice options that its mind boggling LOL. It is a part of the curb appeal though and a nice box with a nice light fixture that can be seen clearly will be a nice touch.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Paint a Brick House

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

Congratulations! I like the roof.

I havent read all the comments (maybe that's good) but here are my thoughts. I like painted brick, too, but I would not do it. Why? It is a totally unnecessary expense, both initially and over time for maintenance. If budget is an issue, don't spend your money on paint.

Second, what i notice is that, to the left, esp the far left, there is an awful lot of brick expanse and little window. To balance out that brick wall, Id like to see some large green bushes, maybe rhododendron. On the right, I think the shutters detract from the bay.

Good luck!

• lynxe
    11 years ago

More thoughts on plants:

Camellias and/or magnolias if deer-resistant. I don't grow camellias, and, because our very large magnolias are within the deer-fenced area, I've never bothered researching that.

Those pictures of msjay2u's - I really like the landscaping in the first one. Third one is very nice, but the plants (oakleaf hydrangeas, dayliies, and hostas) all carry big signs that read, "Hi there deer, eat me!" The black-eyed susans are the exception.

Some deer-resistant shrubs and trees are barberry (Berberis sp.), leatherleaf mahonia, some (all?) pines, river birch.

The more I think about it, the more I agree that you should wait a year to do any expensive foundation planting.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

I would spend some money on grading the front yard on the left of the picture so the earth comes up to almost step landing height, you might need a foot to two foot brick retaining wall on that side. This will do a lot for balance. In your case I would paint the house brick a light to light med tone gray/green but have similar colored brick to what’s on the house now on the walk way, steps and landing as well as the short retaining wall off to the side to hold in the extra earth. I would beef up all the window and door surrounds and keep them white. I would paint the door a red wood color. If the supports under the bay window must stay I would paint them the same color as the house so they do not show up as much. I would not do window boxes or shutters on any of the windows, instead I would beef up the window and door surrounds a bit in white. My goal would be to bring the focus to the door, step/landing and walkway to the door with the red brick tones, new cool red wood door (door with beefed up surrounds in white) new brass mail box and brass door hardware. Finish with a professional landscape job. A tree or flowery shrubbery between the two high windows that had (at certain times a year) colors of redwood would further balance out the front and add interest. I would keep it simple but add a focal and interest in landscape.

• madeyna
    11 years ago

If your not into putting big bucks(regrading, raised beds new cut in walkway to the driveway) into the front I would plant the biggest camillia your local nursery (they will help with selection and care)has then baby the crude out of it the first year or two. Make sure to plant it away from the fondation to allow for air flow and growth.That would give you some much needed year round structure in that left hand corner of the home. I think window boxs are almost a must for that home. They do reguire upkeep so if your not a plant person put something in them that is easy to care for or plan on a automatic watering system .Again your garden center can really help with that. A garden mag a few years ago had fun pics of no care planter boxs that can be done just once or seasonally. One I remember liking was rock on top and suculents like hins and chics in. so when you looked out from the window or across from the deck you see something interesting in the box but lets the structure of the window box speak for its self when viewing from away from the home. Another for a seaside cottage had rocks small peices of driftwood and sea shells. A thought for a walk way between the driveway and the home is cut some cement or stone steping stones into the grass going from the driveway to the porch so you can mow over them. Visually they will more or less disappear from the main road way but make easier access from the driveway up to the porch. Thats not the best way I can think of getting a walk way threw there but the its workable and enexpensive. Just set the pavers or stones where you want them on the ground until the grass under them yellows out then use a knife and cut out the tow inchs or so of sod. Place the stone back in the hole and your done.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Hi, this goes with my post above. Please keep in mind that I used the paint workshop and cannot get the exact colors I mentioned above. Also imagine flowers and a tree. I added a brass kick plate on door bottom to go with brass mail box and door hardware.

This post was edited by jterrilynn on Sat, Apr 20, 13 at 16:11

• michey1st_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wowzers, you guys ROCK!!! I am pretty confident that as of now, there will be no painting of brick. I totally agree with everyone - there are other things I can, and will, try first. I like to think I'm a DIYer, but at the same time, I'm also a procrastinator, so I'll definitely take my time.

Franksmom, would you believe that all these years I've been lurking at GW, I've never spent ANY time on the gardening side? It's all sooooo new to me, and also a little overwhelming, it's hard to figure out where to start! It is a GREAT resource though, so I'll be gracing them with my presence, starting with Landscaping design, and the Mid Atlantic forums once I have a better idea on the sun, soil, etc, and once I can get better overall pictures (I don't move in until June and I don't want to seem creepy by showing up and casing the joint even though i'm technically a landlord now ;-) I love the idea of inexpensive stuff to tide me over while I make well-informed decisions, so THANK YOU!

Dedtired, TOTALLY agree with the new mailbox! Between the askew, undersized porch light, and the askew mailbox, I feel a little bit slanty myself! Those house numbers have to go too, I never noticed them until you pointed out the mailbox, so thanks! Now I have to obsess about where to put house numbers....

Lazydaisy, you raise a very good point on the maintenance of window boxes. They are a smidge too high to reach from outside, so I would have to attack them from the inside, BUT, I just realize i have those crank out casement windows (which is also new to me, I grew up a "double-hung gal"... ok, that sounds bad >.Lana, thank you again for swooping in and giving me more inspiration! I'm really feeling better about the brick and roof, especially by anchoring with some foundation plantings. I've always been enamored with having a contrasting front door, but perhaps since the roof and brick contrast so much already, maybe a non-different door and accent color is the way to go?

Cyn and Gail, I'm just around the beltway in Silver Spring (Montgomery County, MD). *waves* Hey gals! DelMarVa REPRESENT! ;-) Deer are definitely a concern - when I first saw this house, there was a family of them camped out in the back yard. I don't mind them at all (so long as they keep their ticks to themselves, TYVM!) , but at the same time, I don't want them to see my plantings as an open buffet at the Sizzler ;-)

Lascatx, love the idea of adding some height to break up that massive ocean of brick on the left! Some DIY raised terraces could be very nice (so long as I figure out how to "do it right" ... and I REALLY like the thought of incorporating something architectural like a trellis or bird bath. My 3 kitties would ADORE having bathing birdies to stare at through those windows!

Lynxe, my entire street is filled with houses that are exactly. the. same as mine, LOL! BUT, I am the only house with a bright green roof, so out of the gate, I already have an advantage! It's fun to pull up the house on google street view and just go up and down the road to see what everyone has done! It's actually pretty obvious who are the gardeners (or pay someone on their behalf) and who are not. There's definitely a lot to be gleaned, so thank you sooooo much for the suggestion! Also, Tthere's a tiny light, which is on the chopping block for something better - once the bay window shutters are gone, it won't seem so crowded on that side and I will have some visual breathing room for a nicer fixture.

You raise good questions about the shape, size and contents of the beds. I'm honestly a little perplexed with what I have with the plantings right now. The PO left me with a receipt and designer layout (which I'm thankful for, because I now know what is where) but I'm having a hard time with the overall vision the designer must have had. Pretty sure everything will fill in as the season progresses, but it's so BARE in the winter, I wonder what the thinking/vision was with that?

The rocks and such will be relegated to the back yard - I have plans to put a pond/rock garden back there (Though I've never put a pond in myself, my current house has one and I ADORE it), so those rocks will come in very handy! I may also decide to do a pond in the front too as time progresses, but that's WAAAAAY down the line!

I really do love the look of boxwood, but that cat pee smell is a total turnoff! Having previously had a cat that had bathroom problems towards the end of his days, my nose is "always on the sniff-out" for that dreaded smell. Only recently did I discover that Boxwood is the culprit for that smell in my current front yard, and it's not because some tom-cat got extra happy with my shrubbery!

And thank you thank you thank you for your suggestions on deer resistant shrubbery! I think I also read that boxwood is a good choice to keep them from snacking on my yard, so I think I can get over the smell so long as it looks pretty ;-) The slow-growing part totally makes sense, as 3 years ago, a friend of mine accidentally backed in to one of my bushes with a big old truck and took out a few branches. Those suckers STILL haven't filled back in completely!

Teacats, thank you for your suggestions, especially with your thoughts on drainage! My property is near the top of a hill, as you can tell, the ground slopes down on the left, so I definitely want to make sure I do everything in my power to keep that water moving on down the hill away from me! I also want to make sure anything I do, I do correctly (I'm a stickler for details like that), so yes, YouTube will be my friend! You're also right, that window does "float". I don't want to block the light coming in with something that may get huge, but perhaps something green and off to the side with a little bit of height will do the trick?

Also, AMEN to the walkway to the driveway! Once I pull the beds out a little more, a path to frame the edge will serve nicely! I should mention we are talking about possibly moving the driveway to the other (right) side of the front yard (long term). We want to expand to a 2 car driveway and the street utility cleanout thingamabobbers come in right next to the current driveway, so we need to weigh the costs of working around/with those utilities vs moving the driveway across the yard to the right side of the house. Either way, that path to the existing driveway will be well-served as at the end of the current driveway is the path to go back to the back yard. So regardless of whether the driveway stays or moves, I'll still need that path!

Msjay2u, GREAT observation! That roofline doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room for an easy portico! I'm sure there's a way, but as cost is a factor, that project is definitely filed under "long term". I REALLY appreciate the time you took on giving me some inspiration photos! You're right, I can mirror the look of raised beds with some smart plantings (my wallet thanks you, lol!) and OH, all those luscious blooms are making me swoon!!! You've got me worried now, though! I've never looked at wall-mounted mailboxes before and it sounds like I'm in for quite the search! It's a happy worry, though!

Mtnrdedux, you've hit the nail on the head: off with the bay shutters and break up that brick with plantings! Around the corner from the left side of the house is my AC, so if I play my cards wisely, I may be able to find something substantial that serves triple duty - conceals some of the brick, softens the corner AND hides the AC from the street! Gotta be careful that I don't end up with a huge, hot mess in a few years though!

Jterrilynn, I looooooove looking at houses with all sorts of interesting trim work! Nice, beefy windows, pretty molding at the eaves - i positively swoon for architectural details like that! I'd love to have the opportunity to incorporate some interesting details like that in my front facade! I especially thank you for taking the time to do the mockup for me! That brick path is a stunner and really draws your eyes to the front door while the soft green fades to the background - very nicely done! All those little plantings you included reinforce the fact that I'm going to need a LOT of hand holding to help make everything look purposeful without being too fussy! To top it off, all those brass accents really look classy! I never in a million years would have thought about a brass kickplate on my own! That's just one of those details that really pulls it all together, yet was never on my radar (before today) ;-)

Madeyna, thank you for popping back in to my thread! You're the second person to mention a camellia, so I think I have some research ahead of me! Do you know anything about whether they are a "snack of choice" for my four-legged, deer-shaped companions? I'd love something that makes a statement in that corner! Your windowbox ideas are super cute as well! I mentioned to someone else I'm a little worried about the height of what I put in those boxes, as my casement windows still need to open, so the thought of something low growing and easy to maintain like hens and chicks or structural like low rocks and driftwood, perhaps also with something kinda "droopy" and trailing down, may be just what I need to keep my windows openable and enjoyable from all perspectives!!

Phew, that was a TON of typing... I need a snack now! You guys are wonderful, and I thank you for your continued support and guidance!

• User
    11 years ago

Think limewash, not paint. It softens the brick but still lets it be visible.

And save your money to put in new larger windows. Your current ones are very energy inefficient and probably let in a lot of cold in the winter.

Look on Craigslist or Freecycle for bricks or landscaping materials and use that to make a new wider more welcoming path to the front door, with a bit of a curve. You might even find someone getting rid of some larger evergreens that could survive being transplanted.

Oh, and now you're a homeowner, you'll need a truck to haul all of the home improvement crap, so make friends with the neighbors who have them. They can probably help with ideas about what the deer won't eat.