SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eskimopie_gw

Salt Water Pool in Tucson, AZ

16 years ago

Hello, I'm working with a PB in southern AZ (Tucson) and have allready signed contracts. Essentially the pool is a free-form in-ground of ~12,000 gallons, 5' deep with raised spa, in-floor cleaning, pebble tec, solar heating, etc.

The PB really pushes their F.R.O.G. sanitization system which I blindly agreed to. Since then I've found this site and poolforum.com and am thinking the frog should be avoided. I'm thinking the PB pushes the frog so strongly because they sell the refill cartridges and is probably a big revenue stream for them.

I'm really leaning now towards a salt water chlorine generation system but when I mentioned it to the designer he said they don't work as well in Tucson due to the low humidity and said they are mainly for Florida and So-Cal where humidity is higher. He also said the salt can break down the decking and the generator needs to be replaced every couple years. Is he just snowing me? I'm wondering if he gets a comission for every frog system he installs... Is there any reason not to get a SWG in southern AZ?

Our decking surface is an acrylic product, called Excel deck I think... I've heard that is not as succeptable to stains and breakind down as the cool deck is.

Also, he quoted me $1400 to go from the frog to the salt but this sounds really steep to me since I thought the SWG's were ~$500... They use Jandy products so he would probably install an AquaPure SWG... Actually I just looked it up and the Purelink 700 (allows remote control via PDA or house pad) runs about $850 on the web so maybe $1400 installed isn't highway robbery...

I'd really be interested in other peoples thoughts on a sothern AZ salt pool.

Thanks!!!

Comments (5)