SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secondlouise

ideas for granite on prominent kitchen island in great room

secondlouise
14 years ago

Our home sits on point of land on a hugh lake. We have a lot of trees so despite the 3 walls of windows it just has average light. The downstairs of our home has 11 foot ceilings, is approx 25 X 25 and walls of windows on three sides for optimim lake views. The kitchen is small with counters on both sides of sink one side over dishwasher (bisque), black french door ref, a back door on left side and door to hall on right side. The cabniets, beams, wood work and floor are all natural Douglas Fir with a light clear whitewash. The bar, 14 ft long 3 & 1/2 ft wide and angle cut, forms the other side and is all open to the great room. Black trash compactor and black ice maker our under the counter, black and stainless oven slide in stove with top the bar. Last year I tried to decide what granite to replace laminate. I started thinking Santa Ceclia and then realized I really prefered something with a lot of movement, silica in it, and no dots. I found that the yellows and whites did not go. I have bar stools with a yellow apstract print and butter yellow leather chairs, carmal church pew, sofa with carmal /goldyellow dk sage/bordeux/ tweedish small squares upolstery, dk sage with yellow/gold dots ottomon, faux oriental rug with all those colors in it and mostly simple antique dark walnut wood pieces in the dining and living areas and a dark clayish brick fireplace. I have quite a few black accesory pieces. This is a long description, but the bar counter top can't fight with everything else. If it was dark wouldn't it dominate the room? There are too many focal points in this room already. Too much pattern would not go. But I don't care for things that are uniform in color or pattern. That is why quartz or any manmade stone doesn't suit me. I saw a picture of a granite called Beiserpeinte that had creams, tans, black, beigh etc with movement and a slight pattern with different shades and mica in it that looked like it might go, but no one here has a slab. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I guess this is not a true remodel, just updating. I will replace the sink and try to find a black front for the DW and will paint the kitchen/great room again. The color I used last was what I thought was cream, but had a grey tinge to it. This is probably our last home and we will need to sell it in 4 or 5 years and go into a retirement home. I want to enjoy it and yet get something buyers would find attractive. I am so impressed with changes you all have made and hope you can give me some ideas. Thank you.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!