SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barker_tx

OT - Hubby's cancer

barker_tx
16 years ago

Rusty was diagnosed April 19 w/malignant tumor on esophagus. We went to M D Anderson 4/30 to meet oncologist who scheduled more tests and on May 24 we were advised it was stage III (had not spread to organs), was thru esophagal wall, and very near aorta.

Treatment plan is 28 days chemo/radiation (that ends July 26) and hopefully that will 'get it all'. There may be some involvment of nearby lymph nodes. There was a 2 week span when he could not get any nutrition down by mouth, and is slowly getting a little down by mouth again. They had inserted a PEG feeding tube, so he is slowly regaining some of the weight he lost (35 lbs).

We are taking this day by day. He goes five days a week (65 miles RT), but I am blessed that my insurance is paying for everything ... we are only out of pocket parking, tolls and fuel. We have had several 'rocky' weeks, but he is feeling pretty good right now. Of course, there are still 3+ weeks to go so he may have more 'rocky' weeks.

I am the one in the family that everyone calls when anything goes wrong and I simply had to tell them I couldn't deal with their problems right now since my 'hands are full'.

Esophageal cancer is very sneaky....and the symptoms are usually not bad enough for anyone to go to the Dr. until it is stage III or IV. Rusty had a cousin die of this 2 years ago - in October she could only swallow liquids but "didn't want to get it checked out until after the holidays"...that cost her life. She was diagnosed in January, they did surgery to remove the tumors/open up her throat, she then got pneumonia. Don't know for sure, but I suspect she was actually stage IV (pallative treatment is all they can do) It usually is found in age 50+ and only 15000 cases are diagnosed a year. The survival rate at Anderson is 70% survive 5 years for stage III.

If you know/hear of anyone with pain in the chest, swallowing problems, 'think might have heart problem but heart checks out OK', urge them to have an endoscopy. You might save their life.

If anyone has any questions regarding how this was diagnosed, what the treatment is like or anything else, plesae either post your question here or send me an email at cmsmarks (at) yahoo (dot) com of course, you need to remove the space, insert the correct symbol and removed the ( )

Carolyn

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!