SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
decator_gw

Help Please with 'Floating' Walk-Out Rooftop Deck

decator
15 years ago

Hi all,

Well, I unknowingly inherited an open permit from the previous owner of my house for an unfinished walk-out deck. The City of Toronto has given me the option of permanently closing the sliding doors that go out to a second storey rooftop or finishing the deck as per the existing approved plans.

I have uploaded pics of the plans and the rooftop in question here: Walk Out Deck

I have some questions and was hoping someone familiar with building code for Toronto could help.

1) Am I correctly reading the plans that the deck is not fastened to the roof but is instead 'floating'? I assume this is why they call for 2x8 joists.

2) Would the railings have to be fastened to the exterior wall where they end at the house or is it enough to be tied into the joist structure?

3) I plan on using pressure treated decking lumber from a big box store for the structure, then cedar for the visible areas. Is this okay or do I need to use a specific grade of lumber?

4) I would like to use 5/8" horizontal planks spaced 1/2" apart for the railing instead of the verticals spaced 4" apart in the plan. Would this be against code? If not how far apart and what size of lumber would be required for the posts? Also would I have to have the plans revised by the architect to show this?

5) Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for bearing with me, I would like to finish this off and stop the city from breathing down my neck!

Many Thanks,

Jay

Comments (2)