SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannon01_gw

Anyone hang wet sports gear in closet safely?

Shannon01
14 years ago

So we have lots of gear that gets wet and needs to dry out safely.

In winter we snowboard. We have downstairs small bath near garage that has a shower stall. To keep all gear together and lessen chance of forgetting something, I decided to put a rod across top and hang our coats and pants to dry. I have two plastic bins for the boots and helmets to sit in shower floor so they too can dry. Since we go almost every weekend and don't have tons of visitors it is a great solution. It is only Dec-April so the rest of year it is not there.

Now my dh, and soon kids, kayak. Gear cannot be stored in garage or it will ruin. He wants to put it in that same bath but since it is a year round sport I really don't want to have stuff in the bath year round.

I had an idea but need to see if there is anthing to consider. Our office is right next to the garage also. It has a small walk in closet. I would say it is 4x6 with door being on the 4'wall and it opens into the room. So we have basically a 4' and a 6' wall to use. I planned on putting bookcase from ceiling to floor to house all dh's medical books and such. Then I thought on the back 4' wall I could put say two shelves on top and then have a clothes rod across to hang his gear from. To protect the floor from any drips or dirt that may come off clothes I thought of using some sort of pan, kind of like the ones they put under washing machines. The clothing will not be sopping wet and if it is I can hang it in the bathroom overnight and then put it in the closet. Or he can leave it in the garage on the boat until it dries. We just cannot leave the gear in the garage too long, especially in summer temps.

So my question here is this: Should I line the wall the clothing might touch say with Kitchen and Bath paint? Or is there anything else or anything special I need to do? Again, the stuff will be mostly dry.

Comments (3)