SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jama123

Which island countertop would you choose? (lots of pictures)

jama123
14 years ago

I am STILL can not decide what countertop to put on the island in our new kitchen, and we began demolition yesterday! My contractor is running out of patience with me. I would greatly appreciate help with this decision!

The kitchen is fairly narrow and will have white (similar color to White Dove) perimeter cabinets and a small (30 x 60) cherry island. The floors will be oak. The house is a center hall colonial.

This is what it looked like before they took the cabs out yesterday. Yikes - pretty bad! The new room will be a little wider - if you look closely you can see tape on the floor which shows the island outline.

{{!gwi}}

Here is the new kitchen - not too different, just swapping the peninsula for an small island:

{{!gwi}}

We have decided we love antiqued black pearl granite and would like to put this on the white perimeter cabinets. We also like white subway tile for the backsplash, but we are open to ideas here.

The big question is -- what would look great on that small cherry island!

We want the kitchen to be simple and calm. We prefer no pattern on the granite but will use pattern if we need to.

This is what we are considering:

#1 - Put black pearl granite on both perimeter and island. We like this idea because it keeps the room from being busy. Would it be too stark with the white backsplash, though?)

{{!gwi}}

#2 Black perimeter counter with Calcatta marble island. (I see this color combination all the time in magazines and it would work well because the marble has brown and green in it, but is my room too small to make it work like it does in the magazines?)

{{!gwi}}

#3 - Black perimeter granite, Butcherblock island: (ok, well I did not have a real sample of butcherblock for the photo! And yes, I know I have asked about butcherblock in this kitchen on this forum before - I am sorry - I just had to ask again 'cause I would love to use it here. Is the island too fancy for butcherblock?

{{!gwi}}

#4. Black perimeter countertops with patterned granite on the island - something like white spring that has white brown and black in it. (I am not a fan of pattern but I will do this if it will make the room look good). -

{{!gwi}}

Please share your opinions! Thanks so much!!

Comments (32)

• suero
    14 years ago

How are you going to use the island? if you're going to put hot pots on it, then the same granite as on your countertops. If you're going to use it for food prep or eating, then either the granite or butcher block. Unless, of course, you want to use it for pastry making. Then marble would be the material of choice.
    I had a real butcher block table. It's easy to maintain, just oiling and sanding, but you need to let it wear its scars proudly and not get upset by any damage resulting from loving use.

• Related Discussions

countertops that say wow or foul! which one would you choose?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thank you for the feedback. Still looking for more suggestions. The countertop is rosemary caesarstone and it is a gray-green color, I guess almost similiar to limestone. The only thing is the stone appears to have white blotches throughout and I'm not sure how that would look as a larger slab. nishka- Thank you for raising a good point. I should wait until countertops are installed before choosing backsplash. I'll choose what looks best. Even though I'm looking at the terracotta patterned tile by ann sacks. It has a pretty charcoal and paparika hand painted design. Still not sure what countertop to go with. Anyone think of something I'm not thnking of that would be absolutely gorgeous with these cabinets. I was even possibly thinking of soapstone or slate, but not sure how these would work in my kitchen.
    ...See More

which counter top do you like

Q

Comments (31)
    Thank you for all the help. I have read over the older threads and it has given me a lot to think about. These were helpful and thank you for posting them. I really liked the trash bags on the counter idea to see how it would look. Can anyone explain to me the difference in honed or leather Absolute Black? The leather Absolute Black would give it the rustic look we want. rgps can you tell me which quartz that is. Soapstone would be my number one choice but it really is not an option. Soapstone looking quartz could look very nice. RightDi I don't know the name of the granite slab, but I can find out tomorrow to let you know. Thank you for your help.
    ...See More

What depth countertops would you have if able to choose?

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks for all the input!!! I will go with 30" base and 18" upper. Since I can't afford to get deep cabinets we will build the wall behind the uppers out by 6 inches. We're planning to use butcher block for that counter top; we'll buy some standard size pieces and fabricate a wider piece. We also will have a 6' long section of base and wall cabinets, again with BB counter top, along a wall for a beverage center and I will make it deeper as well. There is also a 13' island which is where the range-top will be. It will have a 16" overhang for seating. We are planning on getting quartz for that. I'll probably be making another post soon to get information on how to even start finding the quartz and a fabricator.
    ...See More

Needing help choosing coordinating floors, counter top and backsplash

Q

Comments (12)
    thank you, what did you mean by "I would not take up the charge of the sink"? Do you mean you wouldn't bother replacing? Regarding the flooring....the rest of the house has the old school 3/4" oak flooring so if I change the flooring to hardwood in the kitchen and entryway, I would have to change out all the hardwood in the living room and kitchen. This was my thought process anyway. I did check out the cost and for the flooring I like, it would be a lot of $. To answer your question, the sq footage of the combined entry way and kitchen which is currently tiled, is about 170 sq ft. what did you mean about backsplash? I was thinking black granite counter top and then a simple backsplash and yes I def want a coordinated look. warm, inviting and not choppy and misfitting. thanks again
    ...See More
  • daisychain01
    14 years ago

I'm thinking of caesarstone in misty carrera for the island. Actually what I would do is the misty carrera on the perimeter and then the black on the island.

• parma42
    14 years ago

I like your last option.

A bit of pattern will keep the room interesting.

• User
    14 years ago

I really like your last option best because it has the white and black in the island top.

Next I like the marble idea but isn't marble somewhat fussy? I don't know much about it but I like the look.

I like the look of everything being black granite.

I'm having a hard time picturing butcher block also but I don't think your island is too fancy for it.

That said, I think the marble will fancy is up more than the butcher block.

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

IMO something that is mostly white, like your outercabinets would tie everything together nicely. I'm a fan of butcher block, but, I think in this instance, it's too casual for the cherry.

• parma42
    14 years ago

And, because the room isn't huge, I think that the lighter color in the middle won't chop it up, so much, visually.

• User
    14 years ago

I was thinking butcher block before I even saw you had it as an option. I've seen it used in many applications but none where it didn't look amazing.

I don't prefer marble for several reasons but the most obvious is that the island is where you'll be working a lot if not the most. I'd be concerned about staining and etching.

I'm not a fan of the last option because I think it's too busy for the space. We have a center hall colonial too and the kitchens are just not that large. That particular granite may be too busy for the space. The butcher block offers a great working surface and some character to the space without overwhelming it. Plus it's so versatile, it will look great with any backsplash you choose.

• jama123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the responses! I am truly going nuts with this decision. Every day I make a different choice but later decide against it. I wish there was not such a split of opinion here, too . . .

Daisychain, I like the ceasarstone misty carrera too, and for awhile that, plus real carrara marble were on my list. I later realized, though, that whereas my cabinets and granite are warm toned, the carrara and ceasarstone are very cool - I think they would not work -

• rocky08
    14 years ago

I like the last option. I do not like the butcher block option as I think it is much too casual for that kitchen. I have never understood marble being used as a kitchen countertop as I though it scratched and stained easily(not sure if there is a special type for kitchens or not). The pattern on the granite will make that kitchen look great!

• gigib_08
    14 years ago

I love the last option! I think it will tie everything together. The other choices just seem okay to me. Good Luck, your kitchen is going to be beautiful!

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

As much as I like various surfaces, I think that I might just prefer to stay with the black. I was able to find an inspiration photo to help you visualize. I'm not saying that another option would look bad, just that I tend to think that is what I would do. That said, I like your #4 option too!

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

How about white Carrara marble on the island? That would certainly be dressy enough or find a granite that looks like a white marble.

• k9arlene
    14 years ago

I'd go for all black granite. I think your kitchen is a little too small to have different surfaces.

• les917
    14 years ago

You must be so excited! I think you have made some great choices so far. For me, because the kitchen isn't overly large or wide, I would like to see the consistency of the same counter on the cabinets and island. You already have the difference in finishes - I am not sure you need another difference.

That said, if you really want something different, I would consider stainless for the island counter IF you are going with stainless appliances and/or stainless or brushed nickel hardware.

• sandra_zone6
    14 years ago

I have a butcher block in my kitchen. That finish would work so long as you realize that it will only look perfect when it is oiled up.

I have neighbors who did a marble island, again, it is beautiful but won't be perfect. It will stain if you don't immediately wipe up and will etch. Fully educate yourself on marble before going this route. Again, it will be beautiful, but not perfect.

What are you like? Are you a neat freak? Do you have kids? Would it bother you to have a countertop that does not remain looking like it did the day it went in? Much depends on who you are when you select your finish.

Personally, I like your first and fourth options just for ease although any white you pick would need to be tested to see if it stained easy, depending on the granite, it may stain just as easy as your marble selection. If you want a butcherblock but aren't sure you want a whole countertop made of wood, maybe see if you could fit one into your design. If you go that route, I would stick to option #1.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Love the last patterened granite with the cherry and I would like it on the perimeter cabs too, but I'm not liking it with the dark granite. I also like the black granite on the cherry like in the insp. pic above. I'm realizing that I don't really care for two different surfaces with two different base cabs. I would stick with all the same countertop on both perimeter and island. Either would work. you've made some pretty choices. What does your heart tell you?

• User
    14 years ago

Thinking about this again and seeing the photo above. . . I think I'd go with all the same dark countertop since your cabinets will be different.

• tracey_b
    14 years ago

I'm no help because I'm facing the same dilemma as you! I posted my question on the kitchen forum and got a few replies--2 showed their kitchens with 2 cabs / 2 granites but others said don't do it. My kitchen guy said he wouldn't do it, and the builder's wife / decorator said she's done it before (in spec homes) but didn't like it in the end--she thinks 3 changes or less is best (2 cabs but all 1 granite or 1 cab color and then maybe highlight the island w/ a different granite).

We're doing cherry perimeter and would like a black island. I can't find a granite I really want everywhere (I see many kitchens I think are beautiful, though). Hubby has suggested a dark granite on the cherry (like maybe black uba tuba) with Typhoon Bordeaux on the black island. I'm now thinking about doing all cherry so we can still have this granite combo (I think "busy" granites are really pretty, but I worry about getting tired of them--I can handle it on the island, though). I'm in paralysis by analysis right now and I have to decide on the cabinets by Friday (well-past the first deadline he gave me).

Sorry, I should post my own thread, I guess.

In the end, it's YOUR kitchen. Do what makes you feel good when you look at it (easy for me to say, not to do, though).

Good luck!

• User
    14 years ago

This thread is a great example of what is so right about this forum. All of the responses are really thought provoking and a good learning experience. It seems that no matter what each of us is choosing, we all have very valid reasons for our choice and they all make sense! I love wood counters, but would have never considered that they'd be too casual for the room. After reading all of the posts, I would have a hard time deciding too!

• jama123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes! I agree, lukkiirish, this is an amazing forum. I think you are all terrific. Thank you!!!!

I think I can rule out the marble. I agree with Sandra that I need to know myself; the etching would drive me crazy over the long haul since the marble would be in the center of the room.

I think can also rule out the patterned granite, since, thanks to Tomorrowsanotherday's photo, it seems like putting the black pearl everywhere will look good and I have a general preference for no patterns. Thank you Tomorrow!!

Les - dh will not go for stainless on the island. He wont budge on that one, but thanks.

I think my choice is between the black pearl island or the butcherblock -

I read all the views about the butcherblock being too informal (and the views of the few that liked it) I have linked below what I was thinking about regarding the wood top - does this change anyone's mind? My island will be somewhat reddish brown, not black, so that may change things . . .

In addition to maybe being too informal, I am wondering if the butcherblock would look odd as the colors of the butcherblock island would have no relation to the perimeter - almost like the perimeter is "in black and white" but the island is "in color" - does that make sense???

Butcherblock would be my favorite material, but it would stop being my favorite very quickly if it makes the room look off!

I am betting I will wind up with the black granite - it seems like a solid choice -

Tracy - I feel your pain! With all I know, I would never ever recommend putting two cabinet colors in a small room unless you have an expert eye for decorating - however, since my new cabinets are now being installed it is a little late for me for that!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• amykath
    14 years ago

I like your last choice. HANDS DOWN! It think it will make your island look like a piece of furniture and will give your kitchen interest. If nothing else, I would do opposite color than on the perimeter. Love that look.

• User
    14 years ago

At first I was thinking the lighter butcher block would look off, but if your floors are lighter oak, and your cabinets are light, why would it look off? It may just blend very nicely. I just think the wood would be such a great work surface. Just curious, have you considered light cherry butcher block? I think the sample I've linked to is really pretty as well.

I think either way, you're in a win win situation because either option is going to look beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: cherry butcher block

• User
    14 years ago

I'm back for a third time. :)

Lukkiirish makes a good point about your lights floors. Looking at your diagram with the floors in mind... the butcher block would look nice.

• jama123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sheesharee - thanks for coming back again!

So is part of the key to making it looking good to try to get the floor and the counters to have the same tones?

I was planning on making the floors a caramel color to match the rest of the house, but the truth is that the other floors could stand refinishing so I am not adverse to changing them all (plus the house is covered in dust now anyhow from the kitchen instal).

If I was to go with the black pearl on all the surfaces do you think I should also stain the floors a darker color rather than having them a them caramel color, as I planned?

I noticed that tomorrowsanotherday's photo with the black pearl tops has dark floors. I dont think I would want to stain my floors that dark - but should I go a little darker than what I was planning - maybe a medium walnut color if we went with the black pearl everywhere?

• jama123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and similarly, if I go with a butcherblock top, should I try to have the butcherblock color close to the floor color?

• User
    14 years ago

Jama, have you looked in the kitchen blog at all. I'm only asking because there are so many kitchen photos with luck, there would be a few that are similar to what you're planning. Visuals always help, know what I mean?

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen blog

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I also like the black granite on all surfaces. I just think there's enough going on in the kitchen already. I love marble, but I don't think it's practical in a kitchen. Too concerned about staining. Not crazy about butcher block, but that's just me.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

What I'm hearing is you like the black granite on the perimeter and you love butcher block but are not sure of how it would look. I don't think it is too casual. Here are some pics to help you visualize. Notice the second and last kitchen has dark perimeter and butcher block island. The only difeerence is the island cabs are the same as the perimeter. So, it does seem if you go with a different material the base cabs stay the same. Or vice versa. Beautiful kitchens. One is from the kitchen forum from scottielee.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• jama123
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am so grateful to all of you for trying to help me with this decision.

Kmcg - your have it right -- I like the butcherblock but I am not sure how it will look. Those are beautiful kitchens you posted - in my next life I will have all white cabinets and butcherblock - no cherry island!

Likkiirish - I have spent so many hours looking at the finished kitchen blog that that I think I could be certified crazy! In all my searching there and elsewhere on the internet I have found only one photo close what I am thinking about - which is below.

It is not my favorite photo and, even in this photo, the island is black, not cherry, which would visually connect with the black countertops. I am thinking that I probably need to let go of the butcherblock idea and go with the black tops everywhere. I feel pretty certain now that that the black top on the island will look good.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• amykath
    14 years ago

Those first and last kitchens have left me drooling! I am in love!

Amy

• segbrown
    14 years ago

I think something in the island should relate to something in the perimeter, which isn't happening with a cherry/butcherblock island. I think marble would be brilliant, myself, but I have an enormous marble island, so I'm biased. (Staining isn't an issue, btw, for us. Etching does happen, though.) Could you possibly find a piece of white granite with a less busy pattern but still some blacks and browns in it? Have you asked over in the kitchen forum? I know there have been posters who have used a marble-ish granite before, just don't know what it was.

I also think the black pearl island counter would look fine. But as one with three cabinet finishes and two counter tops in her kitchen, I must admit to liking a mixture. ;-)