SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golfer38

Latest Pics of Ipe Install

golfer38
17 years ago

Hello everyone, here is a link to where I am in my 2200 sq ft Ipe deck install. There are also a few pics of my completed sunroom.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimswork/

I want to thank everyone in this forum who posted advice and tips. I have followed most and they worked out well.

I am installing the deck at 45 degree using the Herringbone pattern. I bought 17 Ipe deck vents from Fretworks.com. The vents are very nice and look great.

I stained all sides, except for the top, of the Ipe prior to installation using TWP-116. I will sand and stain the top when I am done.

I used white T&G bead board around my deck and planters. It came out very well.

One thing I did do that came in handy was made up some screw forms and spacing forms. I used a small piece of plastic and drilled holes in them. I then used them as a guide on every pice of Ipe I installed. I just had to put down the guide and form, align the Ipe to the form and drill the pilot holes. Very easy and the holes align perfectly at every angle.

A couple quick questions;

1) I want to router or bull-nose the edges of the Ipe. I over hung them about 2" all around. The router bit I have does not make the ends completely round and I cannot get at the Ipe from underneath due to deck or ground. Am I stuck with only a 3/4 round edge or is there something I can buy that will make a complete rounded edge?

2) What grit sandpaper should I use? I read to use an orbital hand sander using 80 grit. I am using 150 grit to sand the pilot holes prior to screwing the planks down. It seems to be working ok. Should I go down to 80 grit for the final sanding?

Thanks all and I will keep you posted.

Jim (Maryland)

Comments (5)