SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessie21or2

concrete patio, options to dress up the slab

jessie21
10 years ago

Soon we are having our old, severely cracked, improperly draining concrete patio removed and replaced with properly graded concrete. This will be a basic slab, I don't like or want stamped, but am wondering what we might do to dress it up just a bit. It will probably just have a broom finish.

I am wondering if anyone has had a faux "border" cut into the concrete, around the perimeter, while it's wet....or if you think that's possible or would look good. My concrete guy said he'd be glad to do it if I want.

There will also be expansion joints because we have some deck posts sunk in the concrete too and I was wondering if adding some other faux cuts to balance out the look of the joints might be a good idea. Sort of making it look like more uniform sections of concrete, rather than just the strangely placed joints. What do you think?

Was also thinking of having the concrete colored before pouring but my concrete guy says the dyes make the concrete less stable and also that the finished product stains far more easily. Like a pot on the patio for the summer will leave a ring you can't wash off.

I do like this guy...he's done good work for us and for others we know and has been in business for many years.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help....

Comments (6)