SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

Options for a concrete slab where moisture could be an issue?

kitasei
10 years ago

I posted in this forum last week about our problems taking up the engineered wood floor from our concrete slab. I was preparing to replace it with tile. The prices of tile and installation are steep - $10/sf just to install! The slate I picked out at Home Depot was going to be $8000 for them to install, We're talking about two rooms, a total of 450 sf. It's not just the cost that's offputting. It's that I don't really WANT more tile in this house. It's an old stone carriage house with mostly terra cotta brick tiles on the ground floor. I live in the northeast and wanted badly to have some rooms on the ground floor that were warmer. I spent the day at carpeting showrooms, hoping that we could do a wool sisal instead. The good news is that it would be half the price The bad news is that carpeting is apparently also risky on a concrete slab. Even though we have spent a fortune on fixing the footing drains and installing gutters, who knows with a concrete slab if there won't be condensation or seepage in the future? What are my options?? How can I ever be sure enough of the slab to go ahead with anything but tile? Please don't suggest vinyl, as this is an old house with fieldstone fireplaces. I feel as if I'm degrading it by the day.

Comments (6)