SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Fabric for 'outdoor' furniture

mtnrdredux_gw
12 years ago

I need to reupholster my outdoor furniture. (Ive linked to the set below).

I don't like any of the fabrics Brown Jordan, the mfr, offers. But I am having trouble selecting something.

I had a floral, so I don't think I want to do floral again. I love stripes, but I don't think that fits the furniture style. I'd go solid and buy fun pillows, but solid will show stains i fear, and this is an area used by kids and for parties, etc.

I am not positive if i need outdoor fabric per se. This set is now indoors. However, it is an area that adjoins the pool so will see plenty of wet suits. And the area is all glass, so fading is a given.

For those whom I've not bored before, I tend to like simple, soft, faded colors and patterns. The house is 1904, white, lots of stone terraces and patio, etc. In the rare part of my house where i have used color, it has been blue.

Thanks in advance!

Here is a link that might be useful: BrJ Eastlake furniture

Comments (41)

• Pipdog
    12 years ago

Have you looked at Sunbrella? They have a very wide selection of durable outdoor fabrics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sunbrella Fabrics

• lauriedeee
    12 years ago

Outdoor fabrics. I've purchased outdoor fabric from them and never been disappointed. I recently bought outdoor fabric for my indoor kitchen set and it feels like fabric but it's waterproof, or maybe water resistant so stains don't stick. to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: outdoor fabrics

• Related Discussions

Anyone use Ropel to deter furniture fabric chewing?

Q

Comments (1)
    I've never used it on furniture, but I can sure tell you that if you get it on your hands and anywhere near your mouth you will never forget the experience! If you have it on upholstery and touch it, then get your fingers near your mouth, well, it might not be pleasant. I just sprayed plants with it this morning and got just a tiny bit of oerspray in my face and I can still taste it. YUK!
    ...See More

Designing your own fabric

Q

Comments (10)
    Well, thanks a lot, I just spent about $50 on various test samples and fat quarters! I was just spouting to someone about how fun/easy it would be to find cool fabrics in "sample" sizes and frame them for cheap, colorful artwork. Well, that's what I'm hoping to do with some of what I ordered. I got a few for my crafty DD, too. I haven't even looked at the option to create custom fabric, but that could be really fun. I saw one fabric with Lego heads that I wish I'd seen a few years back when my DS was really into Legos!
    ...See More

? about outdoor patio furniture

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for the pics, lydia and mush. Yes, that's the mesh fabric I'm talking about. lydia, I'm glad to know it seems to be holding up without sagging, even with someone a bit heavier on it. I think the glider has a support bar that divides the bench seat in half. But each half looks plenty big enough to sit two large people, so I don't think they'd be uncomfortable, since neither would have to actually sit on the center bar. That's why I was more worried about the fabric holding up, as it appears to be all that would support anyone's weight. mush, my back porch is rather small and a decent rain can still blow under the roof and soak whatever is there. So I was hoping not to have to buy a glider with cushions that have to be hauled in every time there's a chance of rain. By the way, is your patio umbrella the 11 foot one currently being sold at Costco? If so, does it lift up easily? Well, both your sets look nice and now I finally have something I can tell my kids I'd really love for Mother's Day!
    ...See More

Performance fabric

Q

Comments (7)
    I am in the process of having a sofa & 2 chairs recovered. Looking at the Revolution Fabrics? Are some lines in Revolution better than others? Using a solid for sofa - print for chairs? These reviews have me rethinking my choice? Looked at Crypton also but the choices were not what I am looking for?
    ...See More
  • Carol_from_ny
    12 years ago

Joann Fabrics has a nice selection of outdoor fabrics. Many of them are patterned and bright however there were some muted tones that may work for you. It's a place to start.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys.

Any suggestions for patterns? Do you agree that stripes wont work? Has ikat peaked yet?

tia

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    12 years ago

for discounted outdoor fabric:

http://www.fabricguru.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: fabric guru

• natal
    12 years ago

Does it really matter if something you like has "peaked"? If I liked Ikat, which you clearly do, that's probably what I'd be looking for.

• bronwynsmom
    12 years ago

Actually, I think stripes would look wonderful on your classic cane furniture, so long as you keep it very simple - wide stripes in navy and off-white, or dark green and ivory, or brick and cream.
    Google "striped outdoor cushions" images, and look at the simple awning-types to see what I mean.

• cardamon
    12 years ago

Mtnredux I'm in FL and we have beautiful selections of Sunbrella with a lot of pretty solids and patterns. My upholsterer told me there are imposters out there but if you have true Sunbrella it is fantasic indoors and outside for cleanabiliity. I'm using a cream color in my family room and I like the feel texture wise and it wipes great. I like changing out the pillows every once in a while so they are not Sunbrella. I wished they had this stuff years ago. Now I have grandchildren and one dog. I'm so glad I can have light color pretty fabric and not worry about dirty paws and hands if they sneak by me. I just did the kitchen chairs in it too. It is good for not fading like regular fabric too. Your furniture is pretty- good luck choosing fabric.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I love ikat but would avoid it for the reasons you imply although if you don't plan on having it for more than five years I would use it. Otherwise textured cushions with patterned throw pillows for longevity.

• lynxe
    12 years ago

"I love ikat but would avoid it for the reasons you imply although if you don't plan on having it for more than five years I would use it."

I'm not sure, Bumblebeez, whether trendiness should play a part or not. I, too, love ikat, and if I had the right kind of furniture needing fabric, I could see myself using it - never mind what the world of "house fashion" is doing or not.

OTOH....

"This set is now indoors. However, it is an area that adjoins the pool so will see plenty of wet suits. And the area is all glass, so fading is a given.

[....]I tend to like simple, soft, faded colors and patterns. The house is 1904, white, lots of stone terraces and patio, etc. In the rare part of my house where i have used color, it has been blue."

A couple of pictures of the space might help - because I think fabric that fits both furniture and space would work best. Given the age and materials of your house plus whatever else will be in that room, maybe ikat would be perfect. Or maybe not. Maybe a good choice would be a fabric that links in some way to other things, including things that can be seen from the room in which the furniture will be placed?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natal.
    If I were a better person, no it would not matter how trendy Ikat is. But I have learned this about myself; I have nary a good design idea in my head, but I am a great channeler. I once designed an entire bathroom, I thought, only to walk into a bathroom at a favorite bistro and realized I had copied everything. Walls, floors, paint, mirror.
    I'm a lemming, and I have come to terms with it. I continually find myself attracted to whatever is 'next'. So, I have accepted this and try to accommodate it. I just want to know what the cool kids are up to.

Lynxe,
    I've posted these before when I was looking for help with the pool bar, I think. I don't have photos right now because it has a disco ball it (girls party) and a whole bunch of flats of seedlings, quite a mess! But I really have a blank slate. All you see is white walls, stone floor, and greenery. Ignore the table, it was there temporarily for a party buffet.

Bumble, the fabric I have dated back more than 10 years. I'm only getting rid of it because it faded unevenly. This area is a greenhouse, so I think it will fade much sooner. Maybe i have an excuse to be trendy!

Maggie, i guess you are right, I was thinking i didnt want light, solid colors because it would stain, but Sunbrella doesnt?

Bronwyn, Since I usually go for safe and classic, stripes would be my first choice. But the delicate open weave at the bottom of the chairs seems wrong w stripes to me. I guess i should just try a sample!

Gracie, they have good prices. I immediately found a really nice ikat. Thank you! (see link)

PHOTOS

Here is a link that might be useful: love this one (Thx Gracie!)

• lynxe
    12 years ago

That's a very lovely space. Now that I've seen it and the furniture, I'm envisioning fabric that might not be your thing. Given all those windows, all that white paint, the stone floor and what will be bright sunlight streaming in during some parts of the year and some parts of the day, I think you should go with a fabric in more dramatic colors than your usual preference. I'm seeing browns in two shades: the first to coordinate with the reddish-brown stones in the floor; the second to coordinate with the darkest greyish-brown stones. And then, to coordinate with all the outdoor greenery, a dark(ish) or bright(ish) green. All on a white background.

I like the ikat in your link, but I think the whole shebang (chairs + ikat) might fade into the background (?) Not to mention, given the size of the space, I think you want a large pattern anyway. Also, not browns + blue because the water isn't really blue; it's more of a greeny color.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, Lynxe. The pool was there when we bought the house; we added the greenhouse to expand the party space they had there. (their space was more like tete a tete space!)

I am off to the fabric store later today, I will bring home some more vivid colors and see how they feel to me!

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

This is somewhat off topic, but I am stunned at the prices of throw pillows at BJ. Their fabric pillows are MUCH MORE expensive than the full leather throw pillows I received last month from Hancock and Moore. And I thought those were expensive.

What makes this funny--this is true even though I have a BJ table and chairs in my breakfast area. The furniture is highly contemporary patio furniture that looks fine inside in a Florida home.

• kaismom
    12 years ago

I saw this on horchow and thought your wicker furniture and fabric dilemma.

It's not Ikat and it's not MCM. Somewhere in between. It's not a floral and it's not a stripe.

Here is a link that might be useful: from Horchow

• User
    12 years ago

The most prominent color you have already is the honey color of the furniture itself. I don't think the fabric pattern you linked to works very well with the wicker color (aluminum /wrapped, right? It looks like some Lane outdoor wicker we have so I assume it's all aluminum underneath.)

To complement your surroundings and not fight with the wicker, I would use a classic wide stripe of white or cream and a light green, or cream/taupe, or cream/ cadet blue. Even a cream/ gray would be wonderful, it would pick up nice tones from the rock. By wide I mean a two inch stripe of each color. Love the room and pool!!

• cardamon
    12 years ago

To die for house you have there! No Sunbrella doesn't stain. Forgot to tell you the upholsterer said he throws his in the pool and they come out like new. Patio ones he has. I think kswl has a good idea withe the stripes. In Sunbrella. I think anything you pick would look good in that space.

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

We have green and white striped sunbrella since 1998. It is outside all the time.
    It does not stain. We use the power washer
    on it once a year in the Spring.

• User
    12 years ago

We had the wide green and white stripe Sunbrella too, Joann. It was on a covered porch most ofthe time for 11 years and still looked good. When we changed the color scheme on our screened porch last year I bought a yellow and white ticking stripe to replace the original upholstery. I had new covers made for the cushions ( which were still in perfect shape after strenuous use by three kids and two dogs for many years).

• cliff_and_joann
    12 years ago

yes, lisa,
    it wears like iron...ours is outside on the deck,
    so it's exposed to the weather and it's stain resistant.
    You would never know it's 14 years old, as it has never faded.

• Sujafr
    12 years ago

Lovely pool area! The suggestions you've already received are great, but I think you might also consider going with black or gray. The black especially would tie in with your existing table and chairs, plus it's classic but sharp. I'd put similar cushions at the table as well. Here's one outdoor fabric idea from fabric.com. They have other black and off-white in their outdoor fabrics.

or gray as with this ikat--picture found at decorpad.com

another gray ikat that picks up a bit of the honey color--this one from decorativefabricsdirect.com
    {{!gwi}}

• natal
    12 years ago

That last one is gorgeous and I'm not really a fan of ikat.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Natal, I am a fan and I agree its gorgeous

Sujafr - love both choices. However, the table and chairs are dark green and are usually outside on the terrace, they are only there temporarily. So there is no black. And, as someone pointed out, the pool is a color (the greenhouse is an extension of the pool area). So I am looking for something with the aqua color of the pool in it.

Cliff, kswl,
    I will look for a sample that has a nice stripe. To date, ive not found nice wide stripes and the colors were wrong. I dont want a true white and I need some aqua i feel.

Maggie, good tip about cleaning the upholstery!

Kais - can you buy just fabric?

Beach - Brown Jordan is pricey. When we were staging our last home, I was going to get this set reupholstered by them. It was either $3000 or $5000 they wanted to reupholster the cushions (i think it was $5000 but I can't find the email anymore and I don't want to exaggerate)

As of right now, this is the leading contender. Not ikat but suzani inspired, the other trend i pine after. I definitely think my choice needs earth tones like the stone, and aqua like the pool (at night and usually during the day it looks more aqua then green).

Contender (more shopping tomorrow), placed with the pool in back so you can see why I want aqua.

• User
    12 years ago

I like the fabric, but it sort of ignores the color of the wicker. It would look great with dark brown furniture. I think you could find something that looks better with theSe chairs.

• User
    12 years ago

Sorry, mt redux, I posted too soon... Meant to say that especially lately I have become less focused on finding the "perfect" thing, especially something that eventually will be changed. When I find something that works and looks good I am going with it and moving on to the next decision. With our year long exterior renovation there's been no dearth of decisions and I've found if I do nt just get on with it I can get hopelessly bogged down in the process., iykwim. I am trying not to let "perfect" become the goal... I am trying to go with "good" where that doesnt make a big difference, otherwise I will never be satisfied. There is some research to indicate that humans have a limited capacity for decision making when many choices are involved and that's one reason I appreciate the editing that a designer brings to the table.

Well, as usual I've gotten far afield of the question--- in a nutshell, I think the fabric you pictured is fine!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The perfect is the enemy of the good. : )

I agree, which is why it is just a contender. There was another colorway of that fabric, that was lighter shades of brown and gray. My daughter came shopping with me and one of the samples she picked was an aqua with big white sketches of octopi. I was humoring her but surprised that it looked pretty good, as it matched the pool color.

I will keep looking. Hopefully i find something that has the colors of the wicker and floor, and a "splash" of aqua ...

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    12 years ago

This one from Fabric Guru brings in the colors above, and the softer brown relates to the wicker color in the chair. I don't know if it appeals to you, though. Sorry about the size of the pic!

Here is a link that might be useful: Printed Polyester Outdoor Fabric in Chocolate/Spa Suzani $8.95 per yard

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it took a month to find fabric.

The most helpful thing was the poster who reminded me that the POOL was a color in my room! I ended up being certain that I wanted aqua on the furniture, to tie the green house seating into the pool room. I never would have thought of that!

It was also helpful to keep in mind the colors in the stone floor.

Well, I could not find a fabric that I liked that had brownish and gold tones from the floor, plus aqua. Very few aqua brown fabrics in outdoor materials, and those I did find seemed too formal too muddy or you know, just ugly!

I came very close to choosing an octopus print from Calico Corners, but it was a bright white on aqua field, and the true white was not a good match. Plus neither our pool nor pond have octopus in them!
    http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/indoor+and+outdoor/shop+all+outdoor+fabrics/octopoda+outdoor+sea.do

I liked the Manual Canovas Calypso fish print (link), but it was not really aqua, it was blue.

Finally, I found the KravetSoleil line. It is a great, happy shade of aqua, but not so clear and bright that it fights the stone floors or golden rattan. It has a suzani kind of print, in a cream color. I am going to use a few throw pillows in tan and cream, too.

I went through three bookshelves of outdoor fabric, and I have to say most of it is pretty bad!

Some shots:

Here is a link that might be useful: manuel canovas calypso outdoor fabric

• User
    11 years ago

LOVE the Kravet fabric! It looks great with the stone and wicker both! And I'll bet it is perfect with the pool. Good job , mtnredux!

• loribee
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Knowledge and Lori. I will post again when they are actually done!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm really happy with how it turned out. Before I posted, I never would have thought of blue, how dumb is that!

thanks all!

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Love it! Since I need to select some outdoor fabric for my breakfast room chairs I want to thank you for doing a lot of the footwork for me! : )

Did you find the Manuel Manovas line of fabric at Calico Corners? If not, may I ask where?

• annzgw
    11 years ago

Oops....sorry! Meant to ask about the Kravet Soleil fabric and where to find it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I found it online. I saw it in person at Lillian August here in CT, but I think most designs shop would have Kravet.

Glad you like it!

• User
    11 years ago

Lovely! The fabric made up beautifully.

• anninthedistrict
    11 years ago

You made a great choice! And I have to say I have some serious pool envy! Gorgeous.

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    11 years ago

It looks great! A litle bit OT here... May I ask how much it cost you to reupholster? We have Brown Jordan cushions(Aegean) and not only are their replacement cushions ridiculously priced... I dislike all their options. I've toyed with ordering custom replacement cushions with sunbrella fabric, but if upholstering them is cheaper It may be the way to go for me.

nancy

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ann and KSWL.

Lishaana,

I had the very same experience. I think, if i recall, BJ replacement cushions were 5 or 6k. Worse yet, the choices were uninspired.

I thought the labor charges were very reasonable. I go to an upholsterer I found directly. They charged $55 per cushion (the sizes aren't that different so it didn't matter).

The fabric was $130 yard, which is high but I was looking for something very specific and just had to buck up. I think we used 15 yards.

I can't find the receipt but I think all told, fabric and labor, it was about $2500. If you are lucky enough to like a more reasonable fabric, you can probably do it nicely for 2ish?

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    11 years ago

Thanks for the pricing! It's not too bad... I'm going to use Sunbrella Solid Fabric(24.99 at Joanne's currently) so I should save some money there.. I have a sofa, 2 Lounge chairs and 6 dining chairs so the costs can add up!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lishaana,

I didn't do my dining chairs because those are outside a lot, plus this pattern would look like a bullseye for your tush!

In my old house I had a verandah where I had all the wicker pieces, plus a dining set. In that configuration, I wanted all matching cushions.

Most of the time my dining set is outside, not in the greenhouse with the wicker, so they needn't match, but they need to coordinate. I am just looking for something stock that I can change on a whim, but am finding the shape hard to find!

Does anyone know where to get cute outdoor dining chair cushions, that are sort of u-shaped rather then square??