SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sayde_gw

Finally a little fun -what goodies have you bought?

sayde
13 years ago

Finally after almost ten months I can begin to see the proverbial light at the end . . . . not that we still don't have lots to do but it is starting to look like a kitchen. (Counters, moldings, painting, constructing the island, installing the backsplash and installing the hood still to be done). I have allowed myself to acquire a few goodies for the new kitchen:

--the butterfly calender that will become prints for the wall (actually got this last fall)

-- white porcelain measuring cups from Ballard -- have been searching for so long to replace the one I broke -- and here it is.

-- spice labels! am planning to have all the jars in a drawer with round labels on top. There is a site called Bowfin Printworks that will print a custom set --whatever labels you want -- whatever font -- there are hundreds -- whatever size -- and free shipping which brings the cost down to close to the readymades. Great fun. There are many more fonts to choose from than there are spices.

-- a new wok from The Wok Shop and one copper double handled saute from Falk Culinair .These were actually presents from my son.

--one real splurge-- a Simplex chrome/copper tea kettle. These are now no longer produced and have become rare. There is talk that the owner of the company may restart production this spring but nothing certain. Found one on eBay. Very Edwardian and the styling and chrome complement the faucet . . .

Am starting to feel excited. But still cooking in the basement.

What goodies have you acquired for your kitchen?

Comments (53)

• kitchenaddict
    13 years ago

hi sayde...

a rooster and some cannisters..

KA:)

• plllog
    13 years ago

While my kitchen was mid-construction, I got a beeskep canister (cookie jar?) and some "kitchen" stemware.

• Related Discussions

Finally...I Have A Bud!

Q

Comments (9)
    Like Ken, I have little green buds--lots of them--forming on most of my roses as of yesterday. Can't tell which will be first since there are so many buds out there--it's like the entire garden is planning to burst into bloom simultaneously one of these days in the near future. And I'm in Zone 6--never seen anything like the green buds all over the place and it's still March. Right now used to be when we would get our last winter storm--if we were lucky. Occasionally that last winter storm would be about April 10 or so. Green buds in March--amazing! Kate
    ...See More

Finally have a moment to post some pics

Q

Comments (8)
    Always love seeing your photos Beth! Neat garden art - I can see a votive candle at the top of it - several of these with candles, sitting under a full moon like we have tonite......lovely! Except tonite, I would freeze to death - its going to be low of 36! Lower tomorrow, 33.......You have such beautiful and unusual roses - really enjoyed the photos! Judith
    ...See More

Just for FUN ... a little eye candy!

Q

Comments (6)
    California poppies. Sigh. I have a self-seeding mixture called "Tequila Sunrise" from Renee's Seeds, a cream colored one and the normal deep orange, they're spectacular. They also, planted among the roses, are pushing the envelope between "flower" and "weed". They do amazingly well with good soil and regular moisture. So, I went and bought something like a 1/2 ounce of normal orange seed, and tried to get a whole big border of them. Nada. Zip. Maybe 3 came up. Today I transplanted some of the T. sunrise out into the border, and forgot to water them in, which I had better do pretty quick here.......
    ...See More

Great little vacuum for hardwood - finally found one

Q

Comments (6)
    I lucked up and found this little vacuume in my local craiglist. The vacuume was brand new and I purchased it for 45.00 which was a great deal. Because it only weighs 5 lbs its perfect, great suction and easy to carry since it has a strap to go over your shoulder. Comes with all the attachments and since I have wool rugs that constanly shed on my hardwoods, this is the best thing for me. I really love it and I am thinking about buying another for my Boat/Car. Here is a link that might be useful: Oreck Canister Vac
    ...See More
  • greenhousems
    13 years ago

a Koehler ironstone farmhouse sink (awaitng install at some point!!)
    A red Le Creuset Casserole Dish
    A Vintage Be-Ro cookbook and Cake Tin from the UK off ebay

• kaismom
    13 years ago

I am really jealous
    I need to get a new wok. I tossed the old nonstick wok which was useless.
    I need a fabulous painting for a wall in my kitchen. Have not had time. I am thinking of using the rental service from Seattle Art Museum. Have heard of it but not vetted yet. I am making myself work on this to happen. My kitchen really needs that empty wall filled with art work. We designed with the intention of "fabulous art" going in there....

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Vintage tablecloths!! I even found an Iowa souvenier cloth! But still the one elusive cloth to go. Saw one in an alternate color go for $103.50 the other night. I could justify the $90 I spent on one of the cloths I've been searching for but not that much or more for the other one! There comes a time when even I will quit spending money. I do love my Mothers and Daughters cloth though!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

An original vintage poster by the Italian poster artist Boccasile. (He was famous for depicting voluptuous,beautiful women -- like moi (lol)--, and often in settings involving food or drink.) Ever since I first saw this poster back in 2008, I had been negotiating for a price break with the Canadian dealer who had it. But because it's a relatively rare poster (or because she could also figure out I was gaga over it), she would only budge on her price by $50. In the end, and years later, I finally succumbed to my vision that this poster just had to be in my kitchen and I recently bought it. It's at the framers right now and I can't wait to get it home!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Great. Thanks. Now you made me go look at Boccasile posters. Like I don't have enough on my shopping list.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

It's good etiquette to include the link to a photo of a rare poster so that those of us who have to know everything about everybody can peruse the said poster.

ETA on the framed poster arriving at your house?

Here is a link that might be useful: I'm the one in the yellow shirt

• laxfanmom
    13 years ago

I'm having a terrible time with regard to putting anything old into my brand new kitchen. New everyday glassware and dishes, new containers for my new pantry, new utensil holders, new large container on wheels for the dog food! I even spent the gift certificates that my husband won in a golf tournament to buy a new washer and dryer! Hopefully it'll be done in a day or two and I can start putting everything back in. Maybe once I open the boxes and see all the stuff I already have I'll stop the buying spree!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I bought purple & silver flame stickers for my KA mixer to go with my chrome accented kitchen. I have been waiting to use them for close to 4 years! They were made for motorcycles, but I don't ride ;)

I also got a vintage chrome paper towel/aluminum foil/plastic wrap holder to put on the wall.

I will also finally use the vintage chrome canisters I got on ebay.

My new whiteboard with black scrollwork on it for the message center.

The new IKEA white dishware set so that the display stuff on the shelves looks pretty.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

oh gosh, well ... can i even remember ... ive been at this a while, and we arent done yet!

a swedish bench for the breakfast room
    old grain sacks to cover same
    an old belgian trestle table
    a funky zinc topped pastry table, which I will use as a work table
    an old silver pitcher to hold whisks, etc
    an antique salt cellar for next to the stove
    anthropologie bowls and towels
    a funky nightlight made from a cheese grater, that umm, may have been a mistake

and these cute plates i just love!

Here is a link that might be useful: cute little cheese plates

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Pinch me, whats a souvenir cloth?

Pllog, where'd you get a beeskep canister?

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

My friends gave me a mug holder that I love love love! But that painting that you see by a woman named Jessica Martin was definitely a splurge and my favorite goodie:

• worldmom
    13 years ago

I've opened the ironstone floodgates and easily now have enough to fill my kitchen hutch. I'm simultaneously excited and ashamed. ;o) We are over-budget as it is, so I really shouldn't be spending any money, but I am feeling week these days.

Here are a few of my new treasures:

From Last Import
    From Last Import
    From Last Import
    From Last Import
    From Last Import
    From Last Import
    From Last Import
    From Last Import

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    13 years ago

for the mixer! LOVE IT, and seriously need to find some.

• prill
    13 years ago

Worldmom -WOW - great finds - Ebay?

I got a few new Flow Blue Onion canisters.

About to add some Rev-a-Shelves to some of my cabinets that have wasted space.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

As per Pinch's request, here's my "Coffee Lady" Boccasile poster for your perusal:

Mind you, she's very small (only 12" x 18")and "rare" insofar as poster artists of this period (1940's) rarely used images of Black women in poster advertising -- which this is. (Although, obviously, it makes a lot of sense in this case since the product being advertised is Haitian coffee!) When she comes back from the framer, she will assume a command post on a wall that overlooks my kitchen's "bistro" dining area.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

marthavila, that's just wonderful, and perfect for your kitchen!

Becky, who is still planning the new kitchen (AND the new house) so any goodies are probably a few years off...

• schoolhouse_gw
    13 years ago

I'm still painting walls in my new kitchen and was drawn to some brand new dish towels the other day. My old ones will look to ratty hanging on the new wall!

• steff_1
    13 years ago

MV - It's perfect! I'm thrilled for you getting the poster you've wanted for so long.

Doesn't this mean that your kitchen is now complete and you will do a final reveal for us soon? Ooooh, can't wait much longer so hope it's soon.

My special purchase so far is several new pieces of Le Creuset cookware in red.

• coffeeaddict226
    13 years ago

A red Artisan KA mixer. Been wanting one for years but could never bring myself to spend that kind of money on something I didn't "need". I figured if I was ever going to have one, it would be now, so I went for it.

LOVE it. Use it all the time and has made cooking/baking much easier.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

I got my family heirlooms back.

I took all the miscellaneous cooking junk that was crammed into the china cupboard and stored it away, functionally and properly, in my spacious kitchen cupboards. Then I retrieved all my mother's and grandmothers' crystal and special dishes from the boxes in the basement where they'd been packed away for 4 years, and put them in the china cupboard. Now they're accessible and I can use them and enjoy them. :-)

• michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I so need to shop for goodies to decorate my kitchen, but have a hard time finding them! I really want new stools - mine are so low profile and I feel like we could have bigger, more comfy stools in teh new kitchen, but my husband is dead set against it.

Firsthouse - I love that painting!

• nhbaskets
    13 years ago

The two major items were a new knife set and block to store them in (I think that was counted toward Mother's Day 2014) and a new toaster oven.

• kerrys
    13 years ago

Oh, this is just so much fun! What great ideas you all have! I now have a couple of family birthday gifts handled from your posts! I don't want to put many of my old things back in my new kitchen either! I'm saving up my BBB coupons for a shopping splurge when my bank account recovers a bit.

So, would anyone dare keep their 1970s harvest gold, well-used KA mixer on the counter? I like it so much better than my daughter's new Artisan KA that I won't replace it until it breaks (hopefully never!). But I'm not sure it should be on display either.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

kerrys - those old Hobart made KA mixers are so well made and will likely run forever. Have you thought of having it painted?

• kerrys
    13 years ago

Thanks for the idea steff 1. Where would you go/what would you use to paint it so the paint is durable?

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

marthavila!! That poster would go in my kitchen just fine!

I'll put the link for the table cloth at ebay but you'll have to look soon because it will be gone from there soon. I will eventually get it into photobucket but I'm in a hurry right now.

I could find a place for this, too

http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=500231&cur_tab=

Here is a link that might be useful: souvenir Iowa tablecloth

• sayde
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mv, I love the poster. Cannot imagine not being cheered seeing that lovely image every morning -- that woman looks like the essence of pure happiness. It is a wonderful thing to find the very perfect object or image and then be able to have it. Congratulations!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Martha, I love that poster. She is luscious! I have no room for wall art, it's all function, but if I did, most of the men I know (dirty old kinds) would have to sit on their hands and bite their tongues!

Sorry but the cousins on dh's side, who are hilariously funny, also have the humor of nine year old boys. And all us sophisticated, worldly women think they are funny, too. I know, I know, I know. Surface feminists but pigs at heart, lol.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Everybody's new pretties are soooo nice! And you get to enjoy them in your beautiful kitchens--even better! Oh, oh, I think I feel the green monster knocking at my door, lol!

Marthavila, I love your poster! I can see why you were so persistent about acquiring it. Please, please post a pic when she's framed and home!

Firsthouse, I've always admired your painting. Such an uplifting and happy image to grace your dining area!

Pinch_me, what a great tablecloth! I have a couple of vintage tablecloths that used to be my grandma's. I think they're from the 40's or 50's. I wouldn't trade them for anything!

I'm only in the planning stage, but I went shopping with my mom today and had previously told her that I was going ask DH & sons to get me a KA Artisan mixer for Mother's Day. Kohl's had it on sale, plus mom had a 30 percent coupon and there was a $30 rebate. Mom bought it for me! I told her not to, but she said she eats better since I bring her some of dishes I make for dinner and goodies I bake, plus have her over for dinner. So, I have a beautiful red mixer I'm going to play with this weekend!

• worldmom
    13 years ago

Prill - I love your new flow blue! Very nice!

Some of mine are from eBay and some from etsy, but I bought several pieces from a lady I found on etsy who decided to quit collecting ironstone. She sent me pictures of her cabinets and hutches at home and let me pick and choose what I liked. The funny thing is, she just redid her kitchen and since I KNOW people here would love it, I told her to come and do a finished kitchen post (even though she's never been here before). She has amazing custom painted cabinets, soapstone counters/sink, unique backsplash... I was drooling over her ironstone AND her kitchen!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

MV, love your poster. I agree with Sayde, she will be a wonderful greeter each morning.

Prill, love your new flow blue!

My kitchen is over five years old, but I'm constantly tweaking, bringing in old things... but I think I'm done now. DH will be thrilled. lol

Favorite things have been:

A wooden crate from a brewery in Rode, England and the etching above it (one on other side of range features deer):

Another repurposed wooden box - this time a tool caddy - that holds dish liquid, dish towel and lotion, along with the redware paper towel jar:

Another wooden box that stays on the breakfast room table. Perfect for napkins and salt & pepper:

Mom recently gave me all of her Le Creuset and DH is enjoying using it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

• miniscule
    13 years ago

I splurged on a Mauviel roast pan -- great for roasting, and then for making gravy on my induction cooktop -- the biggest goodie in my new kitchen (just love it)

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Speaking of lamps
    {{!gwi}}
    This little gem is on the wall by the microwave shelf. sometimes the table is under it.

• adel97
    13 years ago

I just got my very **blingy** Emeco polished aluminum stool! I've wanted one of these since I first saw them many years ago in a restaurant. It's like sitting on water... Now it will be our "in a pinch" extra seat for the kitchen table. Good thing because I'm only willing to splurge on one!

• plllog
    13 years ago

Mtnrdredux, I just saw your question. The beeskep was on sale at Horchow, a year and a half ago. I can't even find a picture of it now. It has fortune cookies in it now. :)

• prill
    13 years ago

Allison0704 love all of your goodies... What are the floors in your house??

Pinch me, that's a very cool lamp.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Thanks, Prill. The wood is #2 oak, 3 1/4" stained Dark Walnut. The rest of the main level is travertine (Versailles pattern, ivory).

Cute lamp, Pinchme. I have a cat lamp that was purchased before my older sister was born. Also made a table lamp from a TV lamp of a setter/pointer dog.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

Bah humbug. No pretties for me just yet. Bank groan paperwork mutter mutter. I ought to be working on my list of phone calls, or get back to my office, but instead I am choosing pretty flowers for the garden for post construction ... There would be no sanity without daydreaming.

• ccintx
    13 years ago

pinch_me,

That calendar reminds me of my Grandmother. She always had those Cardui calendars. She filled them out every year with everyone's birthdays and special occasions she wanted to remember. I wonder if by chance my Mom kept her last calendar. Thanks for the reminder on that. Are those still made?

And Lyvia, I DO THE SAME THING! My nephew told me I was picking paint for walls I don't even have yet. : ) Oh, but it's so fun.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Cardui calendars are still around. I think Old Farmer's Almanac has them.

I googled and got lots of returns.
    My calender must have been on a farm. They have setting dates for chickens, ducks, and geese. I thought it was interesting the dates they chose. I set by the moon but they used different dates. I don't know if there was a reason or why. I contacted the seller of mine but she had bought it and didn't know anything about it. 1946 is the year I was born. I had a hard time finding that year when I was looking for calendars.

Here is a link that might be useful: $100 for a free calendar

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Wow, this thread has really grown with some fantastic goodies since I was last here! Prill, Allison, Pinch and Firsthouse, you can start packing up your Flow Blue, wooden boxes and tablecloths, and Jessica Martin painting because UPS will be arriving shortly to pick them up for me. Thanks!

Speaking of thanks, here's a big one to all of you who had some kind words for my coffee lady! Like most other choices in my kitchen, this one was a matter of love at first sight and so your "I like her too!" affirmations are making me feel like Sally Fields. lol. That said, I'm hoping this thread continues with others of you posting more of your own loves as well.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

My pretties are towels, potholders, glass canisters, and of course my cornflower blue KitchenAid stand mixer that DH got me for Christmas last year to match my counters. :^D

• coll4
    13 years ago

Everyone's things are so unique and wonderful ! My "goodies" are two pieces that have been in my husbands family for years. One is a flow blue turkey platter that dates from the late (?) 1800's and the other is an antique bread board that my husbands great grandmother carved in 1903. It has the pharase "cast the bread upon the waters" carved in it. These things mean a lot to me because of the history behind them. One thing I purchased was a runner in front of my sink. I just think it warmed the space up. Thanks for letting me share !

• steff_1
    13 years ago

kerrys - Finally answering your question! I would check with a locally owned custom auto paint shop.

Kitchenaid has a forum that has been a great resource. Fortunately my old KA is white so it's good.

I also found some DIY instructions. Not necessarily recommended, but they give you an idea of what's involved.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY KA mixer painting

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I bought 12 place settings of new stainless flatware and some dishes. And some rag rugs. Then two Gel Pro mats.

• coll4
    13 years ago

Florantha -- I have stood on the gel mats at Williams Sonoma...what a difference they make !

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Florantha, I think I need some new flatware, too!

Worldmom, your ironstone collection is making ME weak in the knees--I totally understand your fondness for those beauties!

Dianalo, I can't wait to see your KA all tricked out! You WILL post it in all its glory, won't you? ;^)

• maryann_m
    13 years ago

I love seeing all of the wonderful accessories in everyone's kitchens! You all have your own unique sense of style.

Coll4, I love that antique bread board. What a special piece!.

Marthavila, your coffee lady is a great find. I really enjoy seeing old advertising imagery.