SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mopsmd

open corner cabinet?

mopsmd
11 years ago

Has anyone ever done an open corner cabinet (i.e. no door) in order to avoid a blind corner or the small hinged doors? Would it look odd to have open cabinet (not just shelves) to one side of the sink/window, and regular cabinets to the other? I'm not interested in completely open shelves, in part because I want some type of valence/arch over the sink window, but also I want more of the architectural look that the cabinet affords.

I'd be considering a 24x27" easy reach cab with the L-shaped shelves. The 27 would be along the sink run.

Below is the current layout, but it includes 6" shelves on either side of sink that I'm not going to do:

Just a little background:

We have an awkward, tight space due to where the window/sink are located. Only 34" from inside window frame to wall (factor in trim and some space to cabinet and that's very little left).

KD wanted me to do a 24x24" easy reach for symmetry but that would leave an 7 1/2" gap to window trim, which I'd have to then replicate on the other side of the window which would mean reducing one of two 30" cabinets to 27". We'd talked about doing 6" open shelves on either side of the sink, but since I want the arch/valence I think that would be too much. Plus not sure I'd have much to put on the 6" shelf.

We're doing Shaker inset. I was hoping to avoid the narrow door to the left of the sink, which doesn't really balance all that well with the 30". The 24 x 27 would get rid of the gap and give me a slightly bigger door to offset the 30" on the other side.

But I'm not crazy about the hinged doors ...so I wonder if I could get away with the 24 x 27" without them.

Also, I did consider a blind corner there, but KD says blind corner cabs have to have 3" fillers (seems a lot) and that just takes away from an already small kitchen, and would leave me with 1" between cabinet and trim.

It's Fieldstone and I'm not sure how custom they'll go for me. Already I found out they don't do 9" cabinets in inset, which eliminates pullouts for any narrow spaces.

We're scrambling to get this in by Wednesday. Already it's going to come in much later than we anticipated and we'll have to live without a kitchen for several weeks. KD is a little frustrated with me because I won't go with the 7 1/2" gap but I want to get this right.

Comments (16)