SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmaness_gw

Pics of 4 yr old ipe deck with only one coat of stain - yuk!

karenmaness
14 years ago

Our ipe deck was built in April 06. We stained it with one well worked in coat of TWP 116 rustic in July of that year. Here is the newly stained deck in July 06:

Here it is one year later (Summer 07):

And here it is today, April 2010 (with no further attention):

A textbook progression from stained to bare gray wood...

This pic shows the difference between a roof vertical post and the horizontal deck boards. This post still sports much of its original stain after 4 years even though it does see a bit of afternoon sun.

I had posted 2 years back about black stuff growing on our railing (seen here in summer 08):

Here is the railing today... everything is faded to gray, including much of the black stuff.

However, on the outside vertical boards we do have some black streaks that are pretty unsightly:

SO... All that background is just for the benefit of anyone who wonders what a 4 yr old ipe deck with one coat of stain looks like after 3 years of neglect!

I really do mean to put a stain on it this year! Back in 2006, we had used Restore-a-Deck to prepare the deck and then finished with the TWP. I know Restore-a-Deck is now out of business. So my current basic plan is to order the 2 step cleaning process from Woodrich (steps 1 and 2) and then put on their hardwood wiping stain. My stretch goal would be to put another coat of stain on in the fall to hopefully make the finish last a little longer this time.

Since my finish is all but gone, am I correct to assume that the Woodrich steps 1 and 2 will be adequate to prepare the deck for a new stain?

Does anyone see a need for sanding? The portion of the railing that receives the most intense summer sun is showing signs of deterioration, with some thin cracks and even some places where the wood has gouged out a bit...

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments (4)