SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rlembke_gw

Single Post at Intersection of Beams @135*?

rlembke
17 years ago

Hi everyone....John, Ken. Thanks so much for the community you have made here. 2 weeks ago I had my plans for a run-of-the-mill ChoiceDek deck all ready to go...then I found you guys....and I've almost got the Ipe redesign complete! Thanks so much for all your input and thoughtful posting. There are many of us 'unknowns' soaking up the knowledge.

My question pertains to more elegant way to support 2 2-2x8 beams that are meeting at a 135* angle.

- My deck will be close to the ground so I will be running my beams around the perimeter of the deck with the joists hung inside them.

- The design is a rectangle with the corners chopped @ 45*. Angled side will be ~5ft long.

- Since I am so close to the ground, I am planning on setting the beams directly on top of concrete piers poured to the proper height.

Where the beams come together at a 135* angle, is there a way to use a single post to support both beams? I have a book that shows each beam being supported by its own post ~2ft from the corner and it further states "many builders use a single beveled post to support the angled corners on this type of deck but our method....is simpler". If this is possible using a 4x4/6x6 post, can this be done directly on top of a concrete pier?

My current design shows 8 footings/piers using the books 'simple' method. If I were able to support the beams with a single pier at each intersection, I would only need 5! That seems far simpler to me even if the piers need to be bigger and special hardware may be required.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

Comments (7)