SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vgking

Draining an Old Clogged Water Heater?

vgkg Z-7 Va
12 years ago

Hi Folks,

Here's a good one for ya. I have a 50 gal 38 year old AO Smith water heater (yes, 38 YO! and on well water no less!) It still works ok but I'm replacing it soon. I tried to drain it several years ago after buying the home but apparently the sediment was higher than the inside outlet, so it's clogged up good, a slight drip only when fully open. I'm trying to figure out the best way to empty it cause I ain't gonna move it full that's fer sure. How's this idea sound?===

After cutting both H/C copper pipes and disconnecting the ele, I'll hook up a hose to the hot water line and lead it outside down a 6' drop to the street. Then either force air into the cold line and/or suck air out thru the hot line to start a gravity flow. Any thoughts on if this would work to empty it out ok? or is there a flow mechanism inside the heater that would stop the flow attempt.

I have considered forcing a probe/wire up into the clogged valve but it's not in the best position to do without making a huge mess, assuming it would even work?

Thanks a bunch for your thoughts on this!...and yes you can poke fun at me for having this antique :)

Comments (17)