SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dbounlom

Best Soft Water

DBounlom
11 years ago

Hi guys. This is my first post. I do commonly read these forums a lot, and it has been so helpful. I want to thank everyone in the forums for all of their great insight.

I am in search of a good solution for my hard water. I judge hard water by the lack of soap forming as well as the white chalky residue on my appliances and shower door.

I have read up on several different systems. I am skeptical about salt-free systems such as the Pelican and Nuvoh2o. I'll use Nuvoh2o as an example. It seems to me that the chemistry and theory is sound. I believe that using a citrus based filter as a chelating agent would work to precipitate out the calcium. However, it doesn't seem like there is a chelating agent out there strong enough for human consumption. Based on their water estimates also, I would have to change the filter every two months, not six.

I am leaning toward an ion exchange system. However, my main water line to the house is outside the house in between the front yard and the street. If I use an ion exchange system, it seems like I would have to get a plumber to re-pipe my house to separate the water to the yard versus the house. I live in the Los Angeles suburb. I have a 1650 square foot house on approximately an 8000 sq ft lot. I've read that Kinetico systems are pretty good.

1. I want to know the exact gpm count in my water. What hard water test kit do you guys recommend that I can buy online?

2. What type of system or solution do you guys recommend for my hard water problem? Why do you recommend it?

3. Do perfectly sized ion exchange soft water systems always leave the soapy feeling on the skin after showering? Or is that only for incorrectly sized ion exchange softeners?

Thanks everyone.

Comments (2)