SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sshrivastava

LanoSoft - Great Detergent for Soft Water

sshrivastava
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I live in Arizona where our water hardness hovers around 20-30 grains which is considered extremely hard. Many households here utilize whole house ion exchange water softeners that substitute sodium or potassium ions for the calcium/magnesium in the water. This results in soft, conditioned water with 0 grains of hardness. However, water this soft poses a problem when it comes to laundering because you need to use far less product in order to avoid suds issues. The problem with lowering the dose is that you are also lowering the amount of cleaning products, thereby possibly sacrificing cleaning capability. Up to 50% of the ingredients in most off-the-shelf laundry detergents are used to soften water because they are designed to be used in all kinds of different water conditions. But why should I be using detergents where 50% of their ingredients are useless to me? And lowering the dosage of these detergents reduces suds but also deprives me of much needed cleaning power.

Enter LanoSoft. I found this product after doing some extensive searches online for a laundry product designed for soft/conditioned water. According to the manufacturer:

Lanosoft Laundry Powder is formulated from natural, renewable sources that are biodegradable and ecologically safe. The phosphate free formula is biodegradable in lakes and streams eliminating the suds and foaming problems in our waterways. The environmentally free formula of our concentrated soft water detergent will work in all temperatures and only requires two tablespoons per load.The MSDS sheet shows the same toxicity rating as Vaska, another popular, natural and well received product. LanoSoft powdered detergent is unscented and contains "natural soap" and sodium metasilicate (corrosion inhibitor for machine parts) according to the label on the box.

I have been using this now for a week on several loads. I am very impressed! The recommended dose for the powder is 2 TBSP plus "a little more" for high capacity machines. The suggested dose for the liquid is 1 oz. I have been using the powdered product with great success. I use 3 TBSP for a packed load in my 4.0 cuft machine and 2 TBSP for a medium load. No suds at all, the laundry comes out of the dryer super soft and fluffy, all stains are removed (including oily stains on dark cotton fabrics), and the only thing you smell is clean, fresh laundry.

If this great experience holds true for the longer term, this product will replace everything else that I've been using including (drum roll please) my beloved Persil. This product is everything that Charlie's Soap should have been. It addresses all of the shortcomings of CS - primarily cleaning power - with all the benefits of being a natural, gentle product that doesn't produce any suds with 100% conditioned soft water. LanoSoft contains only those products needed for cleaning and protecting your machine from corrosion, without any of the unnecessary water sofening agents that make up 50% of most commercially available detergents.

Is this the perfect product for those with soft water? My experience so far says YES, although it clearly won't work as well for people with even slightly hard water. Stay tuned!

OH... and I have no financial interest in promoting this product. I'm just so glad I finally found something that works well for me given my conditioned water situation that I want everyone else to know. For those of you who have very soft water and have had similar issues as myself with mainstream products, you should give this a try.

Comments (5)