SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrob_gw

recurring leaky shower

drrob
17 years ago

I have a shower that has been leaking repeatedly.

It has American Standard style stems (9C-23H/C). The leak is at the hot water stem.

When I first removed the stem, the rubber washer at the end was disintegrated. I replaced it and the leak stopped for a month or two. It started leaking again, and again the washer was compressed and worn, and there was no leak for a month or so.

It started to leak again. It was clear the washer was not sitting right, and I was suspicious of some of the other metal washers/rings in the assembly as well as the screw I replaced on the end, so I bought an entire new stem and replaced it.

That lasted 4 months (an improvement!) It is now leaking again. As before, the rubber washer at the end is excessively compressed and worn.

I don't blame my water -- the cold water stem is not that way, and there is no other known faucet with a problem in the house.

At this point, I'm inclined remove the stem and blow out "the insides" (the part where the stem screws in and the water flows) with an aircompressor after physically examining it with a flashlight for any particles that can be remove manually. But I'm otherwise at a loss for what is going on. Any additional advice?

(PS: I just remembered that about a year before all this, it leaked and we hired a plumber, who did what I did 4 months ago - replaced the stem. I was too busy with other projects at the time ...)

Comments (2)