SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melody_s_gw

Learning to make a beautiful home

melody-s
12 years ago

I am looking for food for thought from the wise people here.

My youngest is graduating HS and moving out soon. It is just me since I was widowed several years ago. I am buying a new (to me) three bedroom home with space for a large garden, after recovering financially and having to sell my previous house after I was widowed. So there are lots of changes coming in my life.

Decorating my home was always a lower priority than so many other things in my life, so I never got good at it. Now there will only be me to please and I want my home to reflect that. My aesthetics run towards romantic / vintage / shabby chic. However, I am not an artsy type so I really do not know how to implement it. I want to have a beautiful, peaceful home. I want a home that welcomes me when I come through the door. I want something more personal than simply buying the set out of a furniture store.

How does a person learn the skills to make a beautiful home? I know what I like when I see it, but I struggle to understand how to get there. Is there something like the Master Gardener program for the decorating the home with volunteers to share knowledge? Is it best to hire a professional?

Comments (14)