New pool build - Phoenix

furrysquid
14 years ago

OK. Here's another one...

92' perimeter, freeform

454 s.f.

3.5' - 6' depth

All Pentair equipment:

VS pump, Easy Touch 4, IC-40 Salt, 450 s.f. cartridge filter, 1 Intellibrite, quick touch remote, 2 valve actuators

A&A in-floor, venturi skimmer, leaf vac, 4 returns

Stonescapes mini pebble

30 s.f. natural rock waterfall + 7 accent boulders

6" deep baja shelf w/ 2 bubblers & submerged boulder

6" deep "mini-shelf" w/ 1 bubbler & submerged boulder

bench w/ step - deep end

bench w/ footwell & tiled concrete table - deep end

bullnose travertine coping

travertine paver deck

First week of construction:

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2604.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2605.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2613.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2614.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2617.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2618.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2629.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2630.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2631.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2633.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2634.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2637.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i878.photobucket.com/albums/ab348/furrysquid/pool%20build/IMGP2638.jpg[/IMG]

Comments (44)

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

3rd option should work.

Scott

• natural_one
    14 years ago

did you go OB or do you have a builder?

• Related Discussions

New Pool Build North Texas-Formal Pool Design

Q

Comments (1)
    Pool Build Photos Here is a link that might be useful: Pool Build Pictures
    ...See More

new pool completion in Phoenix, AZ.

Q

Comments (9)
    I bought a computer program that lets me adjust everything by iphone or laptop. I just figured out how to turn the lights on. I can turn on the cleaning system, check the pool temp, turn on the spa, etc. I bought it so that I could turn the spa on when I'm headed home from work. I forgot to add that the tiles are from modwalls..cool pool blend. They were great to work with, very affordable and the tiles arrived in 2 days!
    ...See More

New Pool Build - Any Advice on Quantity of Pool Lighting?

Q

Comments (13)
    This is very helpful feedback. It sounds like I need to consider putting two lights on the house side, one near the deep end and one in the shallow end both pointing toward the raised beam. But I could get away with just one down the center with no major shadows. racket: the pool will have Stonescapes Tahoe Blue. I'm not sure I understand what you meant by "If its dark/pebble one length" Could you please clarify? About the drains....The engineering drawing (which I don't have a copy of right now, it may be out hanging on the fence) and my contract indicate only 2. The sketch always showed 4 though...not sure why. njfolks: At the rate we're making changes, it may be next summer before digging... Please let us know how your lighting works out. Anyone have an opinion about having only one skimmer with a vacuum side cleaner?
    ...See More

New pool build Buffalo NY. Need help and advice on build and design!!

Q

Comments (2)
    This door will be removed. BBQ area will be under here. Not sure if you can tell from the pictures but the concrete is pretty rough. Our PB suggested poring new concrete to bring it to the new level of the door and with the pool and stamping it all to look cohesive. Problem with that is it costs 14k and we would like to put that money into other things.Anyone have any suggestions as to how we can make it blend in and look nice with the new stamped concrete?
    ...See More
  • mudn
    14 years ago

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey thanks for fixin' my pictures Mud! I'll get the hang of it for the next batch. Nat 1, we're going the pool builder route. Using True Blue Pools out of Tempe and I don't mind saying they've been terrific!

• falicity_98
    14 years ago

Nice pictures. We are getting estimates to replaster our pool and one of the companies is True Blue Pools. How do you like them so far? I was thinking about Stonescape for the interior but I don't know anybody that actually has it. What color did you choose? I hope you don't mind if I follow your progress and ask some questions along the way.

• mudn
    14 years ago

Sure thing. Looking forward to more pictures.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Falicity, I really like this company so far. One of their biggest selling points for us was that they didn't use any high pressure sales tactics (or any pressure for that matter!) They clearly stated the price which broke everything down and said that's that. Anything less and we'd have to cut corners somewhere. No discounts for "acting now" or referring others etc. I don't remember if they were the least expensive or not, but all the quotes we got were so close as to be irrelevent anyway. They're a smaller family owned company and they seem eager to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. We're going with the Stonescapes mini, but haven't picked a color yet and like you have never seen any examples in person. As far as questions go, ask away!

• falicity_98
    14 years ago

I liked them when they came out to give the estimate. They are lower than the other estimate we got but like you said it was close. How many estimates did you get before deciding on them? We have just 2 so far but another company is coming on Friday. The thing I noticed on their estimate was that they want payment in installments with the last of it due before they will finish the interior. I expect to pay some upfront but DH is concerned about paying all of it before the interior is poured. Is that a common practice for a PB? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just so glad someone finally named a company their working with so I could get some info.

• just-a-pb
    14 years ago

Falicity,
    In AZ the ROC wrote the payment schedule for pool builders. That includes getting final payment prior to interior finish going in.
    Just make sure you are happy with how everything looks up to that point.
    As a homeowner you have way more avenues to hurt your pool builder, then he has to collect from you at the end.
    Because of this the ROC wrote it this way, and it is very common.
    A lien isnt worth squat if you never sell your house, or it goes into foreclosure.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yeah, I'm not thrilled about the payment schedule either. Since they all do it the same way I guess you just hope for the best. Funny how the fundamentally most important (water tightness) and aesthetically important, skilled techniqe dependant, part of a pool get's done with no retainage. Oh well, thanks Arizona.

• falicity_98
    14 years ago

just-a-pb, thanks for the info. furrysquid, I agree. It all comes down to trusting your PB.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well this week didn't seem so productive. Just electrical got done. Waiting for pre-shotcrete inspection now. Could an expert please help me understand how this valve setup works? I've got 1 waterfall, 3 bubble-ups and in-floor cleaning all running off the one variable speed pump. Do the Valve actuator's seem to be set correctly to allow me to 1) switch between cleaning and water features modes and 2) allow me to control between having all water features going or just the waterfall going when in water feature mode? I think this is how the PB said it would work, but I don't quite understand how. Oh yeah, it's a ps4 controller and I'll have the quick touch 4 button remote. Also if anyone in-the-know sees anything that looks out of whack or unusual, please let me know. Thanks to all for making this site such a terrific resource!

• brentr_gw
    14 years ago

The only thing I would consider is moving the light so that it shines away from the house. Put in 2 if necessary. I pay attention to this because we messed up and our light shines towards the house. Hope this helps....

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually the light shines parallel with the back wall of the house. More importantly, I wanted it shining away from what I assume will become the outdoor nighttime area that'll have BBQ island and fireplace. Can't afford two lights, plus I don't want it too bright.

• brentr_gw
    14 years ago

I am with you on that. Unfortunately we spend most of our time in the florida room ( the wife has named it the Flamingo Lounge) and the light was placed under the sheer descent which shines directly towards the house, however we have learned to live with it. Look at our pool build http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/pools/msg0718532217198.html?21

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Finally, some progress. Shotcrete done, boulders and waterfall next. Falicity, sorry I never answered your question. We got quotes from 3 builders total. We were going to do more, but kind of got tired of it, plus we liked the one we picked, so that was that. I can tell already some areas of the pool I should have done differently, like larger baja shelf and steps. The jury's still out on the weird bench/ shelf/ step thing at the deep end, but it'll probably turn out to be nice. I think I'm going to love the table area. Travertine mosaic will be the top. Going to pick matching coping and waterline tile. Thanks for looking... Stay tuned!

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

medallion for table top.

• falicity
    14 years ago

Good to see it's progressing. I love the medallion, it's going to look great. After all the estimates we finally decided on True Blue. I went to their store and picked the waterline tile out Thursday. We're supposed to sign the contract next week so we'll see how things go.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Waterfall & boulders.

Thanks for looking.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Not that anyone cares, but... Coping & Tile:

Thanks for looking.

• poolguynj
    14 years ago

How did they get the medallion on the table?

Scott

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Scott,

Unfortunately I missed seeing the actual install, so I'm not really sure how it was lifted in place and centered so perfectly. It's attached with thinset and grouted like any other tile. It looks nice but if I could do it over I'd pick better matching tiles for the edge. I was warned against using travertine and talked in to using "pool tile". I'm not exactly sure why it matters since the bottom of the table is set at water line.

• just-a-pb
    14 years ago

Plan on sealing that table top. You can pickup penatrating sealers and most tile stores and Home Depot. Unless you like the look of it wet then do a color enhancing sealer.

• falicity_98
    14 years ago

Looks like it's coming along good! What color waterline tile did you use?

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just-a: Good tip on the sealing. Figured I'd hit it with the same stuff I use on the decking and coping which is travertine also.

Falicity: The tile is Noble, Romano series 6" NDIR 650 - Noce. It was completely by accident that the color matched the boulders so well. It really looks sharp, much better than I expected! Has your remodel started yet? Swim season's fast approaching!

• falicity_98
    14 years ago

Tile looks almost like the one I chose. They have done the chip-out, now we're waiting for the tile. Hopefully they'll start that tomorrow.
    : )

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Slowly but surely! Travertine deck...

• mudn
    13 years ago

Love that travertine!

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Is that travertine or a look like? We've been told not to do travertine or limestone with salt.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, it's real travertine. Some say not to use it with salt, others say it's fine. So I don't know, looks nice now anyway! The rest of the decking is going in next week and will be concrete pavers, going for a kind of contrast thing, We'll see.

• bobinbaltimore
    13 years ago

Looking good, Furry! I love the table (I've we didn't have kids that we feared would push against it leading to inevitable cracks, we'd have one) and the travertine.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, I think I'm going to really enjoy the table. We have kids too and our concern was more of safety of since they'll no doubt be jumping off of it, but I don't think it'll be a problem. As far as cracking, I don't think that'll ever happen. The base is 12" dia. concrete poured integrally with the pool shell and connected with 4 bars. The table is 4" thick concrete with the bars turning out horizontally into it. Needless to say, it ain't moving.

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kind of boring, but, in the interest of keeping this thing going; fence raised & painted, more boulders set in place, concrete footing for future fireplace and bbq island installed:

• evermoreuw
    13 years ago

Furry -

Thanks a lot for posting the pics and info. We're getting quotes right now and hope to have a pool in the ground by August... Still a couple of months of swimming left -- we hope.

We've been told travertine will heat up and be horrible to walk on in the heat of the summer. Do you have any concerns about that, because I love the effect.

Looking good, can't wait for the next update.

Joel

• just-a-pb
    13 years ago

Ever,
    Who ever told you that is seriously confused.
    The sand set travertine pavers are cooler then Kooldeck.

That is about all we install around pools anymore.

• poolguynj
    13 years ago

Either confused or doesn't have it to offer and felt he had to say something with confidence to maintain confidence.

Scott

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yeah, what the others said. Travertine is relatively cool on the feet. Relative, of course, meaning it'll take 10 seconds to blister your feet instead of 5 like the concrete pavers will, in August in Phoenix!

• tugsie77
    13 years ago

Hi Furry,

I saw that you are going to use Stonescapes mini-pebble. We are thinking of using the same material. Have you had it installed yet? If yes, do you have any pics? How does it feel on your feet? What color are you going with? We are in Northern CA and it is very difficult to find others who have used this plaster. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Tugsie

• furrysquid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Done. Tugsie, it's Tahoe Blue and came out OK. Not perfect as there are a few rough spots, but for the most part it feels really nice on the feet. For what it's worth, it's virtually identical to my brother-in-laws Pebble Sheen in look & feel, so if you're worried about the brand name, don't be. It really is all the same stuff. Like most say on here though, I think the end product all comes down to the skill of the installers. The water color is kind of light teal with just a slight greenish tint, which some people don't seem to like. I think it's gorgeous, especially against the light travertine. Take a look!

Thanks for looking.

• sharoncbrn
    13 years ago

Great looking pool! Congrats

• lnkholder
    13 years ago

This may well be my favorite pool ever.

• tigergirl28
    13 years ago

It's beautiful!

• mudn
    13 years ago

Turned out really nice! Love the travertine and the table top. How is the A&A working?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH