SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bbstx

Is this fabric too contemporary for the sofa

bbstx
10 years ago

I have found what I thought was the perfect fabric for sofa pillows. It is a Duralee fabric. It is embroidered concentric squares on a linen background. The squares are gray, mocha, aqua, mocha, and the little one in the center is kind of a yellow-green. You can see the colors much better on the Duralee site linked below.

A friend came by while I had the swatch draped on the sofa. She said it was (a) too busy for a sofa with a tufted back, and (b) too contemporary for the room.

The LR has an oushak rug in shades of cream, aqua, and brown, a chestnut leather club chair, and a wing chair in a hunt toile, and the gray velvet chesterfield sofa. (cocktail table, lamps, and end tables TBD)

Sofa and swatch:
{{gwi:1664885}}

This shows the wing chair fabric with the sofa and swatch:
{{gwi:1664886}}

I am not averse to a bit of contemporary in a traditional room. I think it keeps it from being too staid. (I really really want the Strut Console for my very traditional dining room but none of the colors work for me.)

What is the opinion of the community? Am I trying to hard to shoehorn this fabric into my room because the colors work so well? Is the fabric too contemporary or busy for the sofa? Should I keep trying?

Here is a link that might be useful: Duralee fabric

Comments (15)