SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doublespiral

Advice on which IntelliFlo pump

doublespiral
15 years ago

I am hoping to get advice on which IntelliFo model to choose. Energy savings is first and foremost over upfront cost.

This pool is 17K gallon off-grid (no utility connection) with a separate 1K gallon spa, each which will have their own IntelliFlo pump. All of our power comes from solar electricity, of which we don't have a surplus. Hence, keeping the pool and spa's energy usage to a minimum is my primary goal.

I don't see necessarily needing more than 4 speeds. With the pool, one for regular filtration at low speed, one for heating with solar power (which adds head), one for vacuuming (probably the most power intensive), and perhaps a second filtration setting for when the pool is seeing a lot of use and it needs a bit of extra filtration. Will the VS 3050 (also called the 4 x 160?) suffice for this? Can I set any speeds that I want for these four roles or are they preset by the manufacturer (e.g. slow, medium, high, very high - or whatever)?

I have heard reports about the IntelliFlo VF having difficulties with solar heating systems. Is this just because people weren't programming a proper setting for their VF or is this a function of the pump? I will have solar heating, so it's obviously crucial that the pump functions efficiently with it.

And finally, I'm assuming that either pump would suffice for the spa, including being able to handle running the jets. I understand from some that when it runs at high RPMs, it is not as efficient as a pump exclusively designed to run at those higher speed, but am willing to make that trade-off for greater efficiency when the jets are not on.

Any advice on which is the best for my applications? Is the VF fine with solar water heating and the reports I saw were users not familiar enough with the pump yet, or is there an underlying issue?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.

Comments (11)