SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misplacedtxgal

Please help with front porch!

misplacedtxgal
12 years ago

Hi! I'm posting in this forum as porches & decks appears to be more "how to build" in nature. I have a serious dilema that I need help with. Below is a picture of our house. To make a long story short we had a horrible builder, lawsuit ensued, then he went bankrupt. We've been trying to "fix" our house for 20 years and this year's project is the front porch & surroundings. We are getting older and decided to do away with the six steps leading to the porch. We will be pouring a concrete slab for the porch deck (or stoop) with only one step up from the new sidewalk. There will be a circular drive in front of the house. The awful roofline under the dormers is next year hopefully!

Anyway, I I want to add nice beefy posts, railings and trim above. The question is where to place the posts. They are in sets of three on the left and right side of the front door. I believe pretty firmly that the middle post in each set should be centered to the outside dormers and between each window pair. That is about six feet between the outside posts and middle post. The inside posts (by the front door) when then be six feet from the middle post. This would however leave a large opening between the two posts that flank the front door. I assume this would look fine when I get the landscaping done and some nice pots with plants on the porch deck.

The builder, however, believe that large opening at the front door will look bad and wants to evenly space the posts across the front porch. This will put posts in front of windows and off center of the dormers.

I could really use opinions ASAP as I've got decisions to make.

Thanks so much for any advice you can offer!

Here's the pic:

Kay

Comments (12)