SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herg39458

Supplement hot water with tankless downstream from tank

herg39458
9 years ago

I started another thread on installing a hybrid heat pump water heater, and got to thinking. Never good.

What are the downsides, as I am sure there are some, to a system that runs hot water out of a tanked water heater through a relatively lower power tankless heater to supplement the hot water whole system? The idea would be that sending mostly hot water through the tankless would allow good throughput since it might only have to heat the water a couple of degrees, if at all, and as the hot water in the tank drops in temperature as the hot water is used the tankless would power up and pick up the slack.This would seem (to me) to give a lot more continuous hot water before you run out.

The context for this is, we have to get energy credits in our remodel, and by far the least expensive way to do it is to buy a heat pump water heater, where with current rebates in our city we can get for $299. But that is only a 50 gallon tank, which is ok for now most of the time, unless we have guests. But as our children grow up, this will change. With this idea when there is no hot water demand the added efficiency of the HPWH would be in action but when that is not enough there would be a supplement.

This is probably a terrible idea, like many of mine are. Please tell me why.

TIA

Comments (9)