SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cluelessdave

ipe: two pictures and many questions. thanks.

cluelessdave
15 years ago

Here are some links to pictures of the front and back covered porches (hopefully they will come through)

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/03/enough_space_for_ipe_ventilati.html

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2009/03/new_covered_back_porch_and_rea.html

We're planning on IPE for the front and rear porches. About 560 square feet total. Roughly $5500 in materials cost which includes a $250 delivery charge (I'm in MD, it's coming 100 miles from DE). I am still planning on installing myself.

I was seriously considering clips before reading this forum, but have now read so many bad things on this forum about them, I'm considering face nailing. I have so many questions. Thanks for humoring me. Here I go:

VENTILATION:

Does my front porch seem like there's enough space for adequate ventilation? The stairs to the right go down to the driveway and the risers have no ventilation holes. The framing is fairly close to the earth at the stairs, but otherwise, the deck has at least 8" of space between the dirt and the bottom of the joists, with substantially more towards the left at which point there's about 24" of space. We intend to leave the front and left sides underneath the porch open air or at their most restrictive just covered with lattice. From what I can tell, the ground stays dry there even after rain due to the porch being covered. The rear porch is 5 or 6' off the ground, so I don't expect any issues there. The front porch is North facing and rear porch is South facing.

FASTENTING and INSTALLATION

Does face nailing simply involve countersinking, then fastening with stainless screws, and plugging?

Is there any hope that I could get away with clips? Do they really look a lot better than face nailed decks? I've seen many pictures of clipped decks, but not many face nailed with plugs.

What construction adhesive do you recommend if any?

What is the proper spacing between boards and what's the best way to ensure even spacing?

Do you recommend purchasing a bow-wrench to wrestle the less straight boards into place if needs be?

Can I use torx drive stainless screws from home cheapo? I've had good luck with their expensive brand of decking screws for some interior framing and I fell in love with the torx drives screws doing that. I dislike the square drives because they seem to strip a lot more easily and I cannot imagine having to grind one of those out of my new deck.

What screw length is recommended?

How many screws per joist and where would you place them? Centered, staggered, etc.?

LUMBER SIZE AND SELECTION

I have been looking at the 1x6 ("plus 2mm") pre-grooved (except for the stair treads), but if I face nail, I will obviously get the regular 1x6. What width of board would you recommend for this application? What do you think about T&G?

Anything I should look for in terms of kiln dried, pre-sealed, etc. when purchasing the IPE? Any questions to make sure to ask the distributor?

CUTTING

Any special blades? I assume circular saw. Would you lay first, then cut all at once or cut as you go? Should I treat the cut ends immediately and if so, with what?

TREATMENT AND MAINTENANCE

Do plugs need sealing and / or gluing? If so, with what? Same as what you'd treat the lumber with? Is something like Penofin going to work on IPE or is there a special treatment I should use? Does this vary even if the distributor has already treated the wood? If I plan to let the IPE weather for a silvery gray, should I still treat, then let it weather or just let it weather from the beginning? Are there disadvantages with letting it weather? Is this a reversible decision if I later take a belt sander to it?

Thank you so much to anyone with the patience to answer some or all of my questions. Truly appreciated.

- Clueless Dave

Comments (13)