SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
delaloi

New Ipe Deck Project - Some specific questions for the experts

delaloi
17 years ago

I am about to have a new Ipé deck installed. I have a basic plan from the contractor and want to check that some of his assumptions are sensible. I have already read tons of threads here that have enabled me to make what I hope will turn out to be good decisions on many aspects of the project (using Ipé, trimhead screws not clips, finding the right finish, etc.). Many thanks in advance for the further info I hope to get in response to this! (FWIW I am in Belgium, very rainy climate. Deck will be in mixed sun/shade.)

1. Foundation. The deck will be low to the ground, with 3 levels varying from about 4-6 inches to 20 inches off the ground. Part of the lowest and biggest level will be over an existing concrete slab, the rest is over dirt. The contractorÂs original proposal was to construct a foundation layer over the dirt using "stabilised sand." Now he thinks that is not necessary, the frame can be built on the dirt. Assuming the dirt is stable, is this right?

2. Frame material. The original proposal was to use soft wood for the frame; after I asked about durability, he now proposes to use tropical hardwood. But not PT. I assume this is ok and just a matter of price?

3. Water issues. Again, wet climate here. The contractor says "under the wood we will work with black tarred roofing to prevent the intake of rainwater." I donÂt know if this means he proposes to stick a tar roofing layer right on the back of the Ipé, lay a layer on the ground/foundation, or what. In either case it doesnÂt sound like a great idea to me, as I assume adequate ventilation should do the trick. Thoughts?

4. Ventilation. Related to the previous, how do I get adequate ventilation under such a low-lying deck?

5. Pathway. Part of the project is to construct a small pathway, maybe 25 feet long x 4 feet wide, from the main deck to a rear outbuilding. This area is under large pines and picks up a lot of debris from the trees. I just want a pathway that is raised slightly off the ground (same level as the deck) so that itÂs easy to sweep clean. I propose to build it from Ipé also. Is there anything particular I need to know here, particularly in terms of foundation and framing issues?

6. Lighting. I would like to install some ambience lighting in the deck itself. IÂm considering LED strip/rope hidden under the 2 deck steps, to highlight the different levels. Another possibility would be small LEDs set into the deck itself, pointing upward to define the perimeter (and along the path to the outbuilding). Any ideas? Pictures?

Again, many thanks in advance. This board is a tremendous resource.

Chris

Comments (2)