SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

Fiberglass pool crack--could it be leaking?

Lisa Hayes
12 years ago

We have a Viking fiberglass pool--when we went to check on the water level under the winter cover we discovered it was really low. I knew something was up, because we usually have to pump several times during the winter with the rain and snow. We added water and we figure it's losing about 3-4 inches a day. We called the pool company and it will be covered if it is a crack in the shell and will not be covered if it is plumbing. We opened it and it's almost clear. We did have a hairline crack last year that looks like it is wider than last year. My DH says it's between 1/16 to maybe 1/8 wide. Could a crack like this be leaking? Also, the pool company says we need to find the leak ourself or pay them to have a company come out. We are at a loss on how to begin to find a pool leak. Different websites talk about a dye test. We also have an area that bulged and it had some hairline cracks last year too. How thick is a fiberglass pool? I just assumed you would have to see a large gap for the pool to be leaking? I am so hoping it's the shell--I cannot imagine what the plumbing cost will? Can someone tell us where to start?

Comments (9)