SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
single_fathom

DE is flowing out of my skimmer after the pump shuts down

14 years ago

We are doing some major house renovations and as a result we had to move our pool equipment

approximately 20 feet from it's original location. Since it is a temporary setup we are only using

2 suction lines, one return line, the pump and the DE filter. While running it does everything

like it should, but when I shut off the pump the DE from the filter backs it's way into the pump

and then down through the skimmer into the pool. I spoke with a pool tech from a local company on

the phone and he seemed to think that there was a possibility of backpressure causing this to happen.

He said that adding a second return line could possibly relieve the problem. One other additional factor

is that in the process of moving the filter I took the opportunity to disassemble the grids and

clean them. Putting it back together seemed rather straightforward but I will say that getting the

grids all lined up on the bottom plastic rack was a little difficult.

So.... my questions are:

What typically keeps gravity from allowing the filter to drain back into the pump (or into the

return side of the system for that matter)?

If I damaged one of the grids could that possibly cause this to occur?

If the filter is not sealed well could that cause this to occur?

Also...a few notes about the setup.

.I'm using a 2 HP Hayward pump with a Hayward DE filter. They are configured side by side in an identical

manner as they originally were before being moved.

.I tapped into my suction and return lines by digging down and locating the appropriate lines about 20 feet

from their original location.

.My suction lines are: a 2" skimmer line and a 1 1/2" pool cleaner line. The return line is a 2" that

flows into the wall of my spa and creates a spillover into the pool.

.The pump and the filter are located on a concrete pad that is sitting approximately 20 inches above the pool deck.

.While running the flow is excellent and the pressure is approximately 13psi.(Which is much lower than I'm used

too with my original configuration.)

Any help or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Comments (11)