SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Two pumps questions

jalal
16 years ago

My pump woes continue. My Sequence 750 4200 that leaks after shut down and restarted has a bent shaft. MDM sent the Canadian Co a new seal as they refuse to believe the shaft is bent and if it is they say that I dropped the pump. No I didn't but that big wad of filter floss last year probably didn't help. To make long story short MDM won't replace the pump so I may as well keep it. I am thinking of getting a second pump--the Sequel 750 4250 (about same flow as the Sequence) and running that pump on the sc/bd. My concern is if I run my old pump on the skimmer (Savio compact with 8" weir) will it draw down the skimmer too much? I currently have a ball valve off the skimmer line and one on the bd discharge. Can I valve back the input from the skimmer on the old pump? My intent is to run the skimmer/old pump to biofalls continuously as the pump only leaks when shut down and restarted. The flow on the pump according to the Canadian Co. is about 2/3 rd's of what it should be. With the two pumps I can keep the biofalls/skimmer going when doing water changes/clean on sc and have better flow on my waterfalls. I can change out the plumbing to have one pump on the skimmer/biofalls and one on the sc/second falls (which has a small biofilter 30 gal). Is there another way to plumb the skimmer to the old pump so that there isn't too much draw down? The other alternative is to buy one bigger new pump but the costs are about $200 more than using my old one and the Sequel pump. I know why would you buy when they don't honor the warranty--kinda caught between a rock and a hard place....

Comment