SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wintertime_gw

Finally! Layout feedback appreciated.

wintertime
15 years ago

I have been eagerly awaiting my chance to post my new kitchen layout. Getting the drawings online was challenging, but worth the wait since there really isnt any point in posting for help without the right information.

So here is my project. Total kitchen reno keeping the same structural components. My house is a contemporary style townhouse with an open concept and lots of windows. Walls/trim are white and flooring is light maple.The kitchen is on the main split level up from the living room. The windows are all floor-ceiling with the exception of the one over the sink. The dotted line represents the furnace duct work that is a drop down part of the ceiling about 12" down and 43" wide. I am hoping a range hood can vent into here.

a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f330/heatkath/?action=view¤t=kitchen_empty.jpg"; target="_blank">

My plan is to remove all existing cabinets and appliances and replace. Move the fridge to the other wall and make that a wall of cabinets. Remove end of U to make a galley walk through to eating area.

I havenÂt decided on cabinet manufacturer yet. I am inclined to use Ikea but am struggling with the feature pantry wall layout. I am going to a local cabinet maker on the weekend to price that out as well. I want flat front cabinets in gloss white or grey. Potentially darker (black or blue/black) on pantry wall beside fridge, still unsure about colour here.

All lowers in main galley, with the exception of pullouts will be drawers. I will be switching from an electric stovetop and oven to a gas range. Pretty sure I want a stainless apron single bowl sink. The whole wall behind the sink (around the window) will be a backsplash material. Glass tile?

The look I want is very minimal and modern, as such I have elected to eliminate overheard cabinets and get a yellow Bertazzoni range as a splash of colour. I am pretty sure I want soapstone countertops, my second choices would be caesarstone and richlite. Nothing with a polish or obvious textures. I know soapstone is more typically found in traditional kitchens but I think I can make it work, the darkness and matte finish appeal to me.

I cook a lot, bake some. I would like to bake more but the reality is that time doesnÂt allow that much. I have very few Âextra appliances; a hand held mixer and the tiny chopper. I might like to get a toaster. Perhaps another small counter to the right of the fridge with uppers above it where the toaster could sit?

I very rarely eat breakfast at home, we are very active and on the go. I like having people over and the built in banquette with smaller moveable tables is a testament to that. I do everything from scratch and thought the prep sink with waste hole in counter above pullout garbage would be convenient. I may have to eliminate prep sink if plumbing is too difficult.

I think a wine cooler under the counter beside to the left of the fridge would be interesting. Also, glass shelves on wall above that counter for glasses. An Âadult beverage center of sorts. This also goes into the entertaining category. No children in the home.

I am so thankfull to have found the forum and greatly appreciate any advice.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH