SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
applesandshanana

Subway tile backsplash - concerns with gaps...

applesandshanana
13 years ago

My husband and I are about to start a classic white subway tile backsplash in our mini kitchen makeover. As it is our first tile experience, I'm trying to plan as much as possible before we start...and I have a few concerns. (It seems to be the theme that a home built in 1914 has its fair share of concerns and quirks :)

1. Our countertops extend a bit further than our upper cabinets, which seems to be a common problem. On one side of our kitchen, the countertops extend to a doorway molding, with the upper counter about two inches in. It seems to make sense to start the tile at the door molding. However, when laying out the tiles today, I noticed that there will be about a one inch gap between the top tile and the upper cabinets. How would we fix this?

Cutting a one inch tile would look silly. I thought about one of the small edge pieces I've seen...until I measured the cabinets on the other side of the kitchen. Of course, on that side four tiles fit perfectly between the countertop and cabinet - no one inch gap. (Clearly, whoever put the cabinets in for the previous homeowner was a little off). I'm afraid it would look strange to have the border on one side of the kitchen and not on the other. Are there any other remedies?

2. We have a strange five foot-ish wall between two door moldings with our sink and dishwasher. In this case, the countertops extend a bit from the cabinets again, but don't reach all the way to the door moldings. We figured we would do vertical subway tile edging along the sides so it would look finished. When I measured out the tiles, there's about two inches of excess space between the last horizontal tile and the vertical tile. I've read that the goal in tile is to avoid pieces that are smaller than half the original size. What do you do when you have these gaps?

I hope this doesn't sound like too much of a fumbling mess...I'm trying to make as much sense as possible :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH