SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

Recipes for Slaw - Week 5 April 2013

We love slaws. Here is one of our favorite that I first tried in 1974 shortly after I received the magazine.

Carolina Coleslaw

This makes such a large amount, I normally half the recipe. I got this recipe from the July 1974 issue of Family Circle. There was a Grass Roots Cook article about a Mrs. McCollum, a farm wife in North Carolina, which contained several of her recipes. We absolutely love this slaw. I get many requests for the recipe. As Mrs. McCollum said, âÂÂIt just gets better and better the longer it sits in the refrigerator.âÂÂ

Slaw
1 large cabbage (about 3 pounds), trimmed, quartered, and cored
1 medium-size sweet green pepper, cored, seeded, and minced (for color use ý green pepper and
ý sweet red pepper)
1 medium size sweet onion, (Bermuda or Spanish), peeled and chopped fine

Dressing
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon celery seeds
1 cup cider vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil

With a sharp knife, slice each cabbage quarter very fine; combine with green pepper and onion in a large bowl and toss to mix.

Mix sugar, salt, mustard, and celery seeds in a small saucepan; add vinegar and oil and let come to a boil over moderate heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Pour over cabbage and toss well to mix. Cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations