SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

Hobbiton conifers of the week, April 13th, 2013

Another handful of cultivar shots. After a warm start, Spring is emerging at it's normal snail-like pace. Plants very very slowly yawn and begin their growth, unlike most of the country where when Spring comes, plants explode into life.

Sciadopitys verticillata 'Janssen's Variegated' - One of the best variegated umbrella pines.
{{gwi:684638}}

Abies balsamea 'Bear Swamp'
{{gwi:684639}}

Pseudotsuga menziesii 'Les Barres' - A cool plant I picked up from Dragonfly Farms, a nursery the Western ACS gathering will visit this Summer - Bring some dough!!
{{gwi:684640}}

Abies koreana 'Blue Standard' - Also from Heidi at Dragonfly Farms.
{{gwi:684641}}

Tsuga canadensis 'Everitt Golden' - Slow growing and a nice bright gold in a part-sun spot. Has grown about 2-3 inches a year(5-8 cm).
{{gwi:684642}}

Picea engelmannii 'Swan Creek' - Seems the engelmannii's break buds earlier here than many of my other spruce.
{{gwi:684643}}

Some pots and colors/chaos.
{{gwi:684644}}

I like to include maples at this time of the year given they compliment well with conifers and many people who collect one often grow the other.

Acer palmatum 'Musasaki kiyohime' - This little guy has great looking leaves in all three seasons and is still growing slowly even five years in the ground now. It's one of the first maples I planted.
{{gwi:684645}}

Hope you liked 'em!

-Will

Comments (16)